PDA

View Full Version : Do you sell email addresses?

TS
11/04/2005, 08:35 PM
I'm getting some unsolicited emails from online coral vendors, and wondering where they are coming from. Can you tell me if RC sells the email addresses of members?

(just to be clear: this is a request for information, not an accusation)

Thanks
Travis

beerguy
11/04/2005, 08:39 PM
Nope. It's a valid question but it's covered in our [ua]:

8. PRIVACY: We will not offer any information about you to any company. However, you should be aware that if you voluntarily disclose personal information (e.g., name, email address, street address, etc.) on a bulletin board, chat room or on any other user or member-generated pages, that information can be collected and used by others and may result in unsolicited messages from other parties.

If it has header information on it that shows that it's come through our system and is indeed unsolicited please contact a staff member. We take that sort of abuse pretty seriously.

Cheers

Skipper
11/04/2005, 09:35 PM
Hey Travis. Absolutely not, my friend.

TS
11/04/2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. Just checking. I'm pleased that this is your policy.

Rock on. :)

Travis

RicksReefs
11/05/2005, 01:04 AM
if you've ever visited the sites on your own, some vendors
use a program to pull your info from you then spam you since
they now have your email addy. this happened to me twice
already. i still get bombarded with one places spam every week,
even after requesting it stop MANY times. (it stopped for a couple
of months, then the company was sold and now it's constant
again and requests have fallen on deaf ears)

i really don't care that condy anemones are on sale at the LFS in cali...:D

TS
11/05/2005, 09:50 AM
Hehe, yeah, the LFS in cali is one of the main offenders...

RicksReefs
11/05/2005, 09:55 AM
you too eh? i have a policy that anyone who spams me
will never see a dime of my money, ever. sneaky people
have sneaky ways that may carry over to other aspects of
business. they're not as Brilliant as they think... ;)

dc
11/05/2005, 12:35 PM
I've never recieved any spam. I only get notices from venders that I have bought from here and signed up for it.

MalHavoc
11/07/2005, 08:06 AM
One trick I use to find out who's selling my info is to create a new email address for each site I sign up on. I'll only ever use that address in that one spot. If any spam ever ends up there, I know where it started from.

This is easier to do if you buy your own domain and administer your own email addresses, but it's still doable with free mail services like gmail or what not.