PDA

View Full Version : mantis w/o appendeges

sandlot13
11/04/2005, 04:45 PM
Hey, quick question

So my mantis that survived his 5 day package tour is alive and well, just like you figured he would be. He eats just about anything I put in there, though he does not at the moment have any of his "smasher" appendeges. I know it might be hard to determine if I dont know the species at the moment, but doyou have any idea how long it will take him to regrow his lost appendeges? Ill try to get a digi pic of him to post, but ill have to find someone with a camera. Thanks for the help! Im in love with these little guys!

tanner g.

capncapo
11/04/2005, 08:23 PM
A lot of it depends on how often it moults and a lot of that depends on its age, species and general health.

From what I've read the appendages may take a few moults to come back. They sometimes come back small and then, with the next moult may come back full sized.

sandlot13
11/04/2005, 11:59 PM
ya, i kinda figured that. hes a youngin' (probably only a little over 3/4 an inch long right now). we will see, just curious

capncapo
11/05/2005, 12:36 AM
He should be growing pretty fast then. Maybe it won't take too long.

rshimek
11/05/2005, 11:59 AM
Hi,

capncapo's right. ([thanks])

It shouldn't take too long, provided it has been well fed prior to the loss. It will probably get some "functional" appendages with its next molt, but it make take 2 or 3 molts for the appendages to be "normal."

sandlot13
11/05/2005, 02:57 PM
awesome! thanks ron! these guys are amazing arent they!