PDA

View Full Version : What clowns would be best to add with a moroon??

burton61775
11/03/2005, 04:19 PM
If there is any at all. I know moroon are on the higher end of the aggersion table for clown fish but i saw this great looking orange sunk clown in my marine store last night.

I only have a 75 gallon and typically my moroon stays on the left bottom of the tank, just wondering if i could adda second and hope they stay on different sides.

I know most people say you can not add two different clowns in same tank but thier is a lot of people that have success with this, i even know one that done it in a 29 gallon breeding tank.

Any advice or percautions appericated

bertoni
11/03/2005, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't try it. Some species of clown aren't that aggressive, but the maroon clowns are. It might work, there's always a chance, but the odds are bad, IMO. If you get the fish anyway, I'd suggest that you be ready to pull it back out and return it.

sinful9302
11/03/2005, 04:49 PM
no other clowns with a maroon. they will attack anything that looks like them. you could get another maroon. that is all.

dhnguyen
11/03/2005, 06:04 PM
AND I should add that if you get another maroon, make sure it's a much smaller one otherwise they will fight and fight and fight and fight until perhaps one will die.

rogerwells
11/03/2005, 06:52 PM
I think the maroon has to be from the same family or whatever like at the petstore....i have two perculas that were bought at two differnt stores and one is dominating the other one

bertoni
11/03/2005, 07:09 PM
The clowns will always fight for dominance. That's how they choose gender. Even a large size difference might not be enough, especially with maroon clowns. Joyce Wilkerson's book on clownfish is very useful for such questions, IMO.

N-A-S-O
11/03/2005, 07:43 PM
higher end of the aggersion table for clown ....thats an under statement. I have a breeding pair of maroon clowns myself . The male a decent size, but the female is huge. Well last week she decided to murder my juv vilmingi tang and this week she knocked off my juv orange shoulder tang. That's a good idea how mean maroons can be. So be careful

Amphiprionocellaris
11/03/2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by sinful9302
no other clowns with a maroon. they will attack anything that looks like them. you could get another maroon. that is all.
I would say no mixing of clowns except in a large tank. Being a maroon just makes that more of a "no." And if you do get another maroon (as has been said) be sure to get the smallest one possible. That way, the current maroon will not think of the newcomer as a possible threat.

blue_eyes53813
11/03/2005, 08:48 PM
I have a maroon clown and a regular nemo, The maroon is a bastard ( sorry). I had them in a 125 gallon and it was a constant fight.... I had 2 anemones and I think that helped alot in hiding or making nemo feel secure. After a few weeks the maroon calmed down, but they both stayed on diff. sides of the tank. I have a 265 gallon now and they still fight some... I would be a little leary about putting them together in a 75.

mrreuben
11/04/2005, 12:10 AM
maroons are bastards. i added a domino damsell and the clown killed it.

King-Kong
11/04/2005, 07:37 AM
my dad had a maroon and a pair of percula's in a 75 for some time. There was aggression, but they stayed on each side of the tank.

that said, I wouldn't dare try it. :)