PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Macro?

smoney
11/03/2005, 03:08 AM
I have caulpera macro in my refuge right now, and it came from a well established tank. I had it in a bucket for about a month before I put it in my refuge, I thought all the pods had died and whatnot. Then, I am getting some chaeto(which I commited to the person I would be takeing it) for my refuge, but now I see like hundreds of tiny things in my refuge. Would it be ok to keep chaeto and caulpera in my refuge?

Harmsway
11/03/2005, 07:53 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with mixing macros. However I find that if you mix caulpera it will intangle itself throughout the other macros. This will make it difficult to latter export as indiviuals.

Gene

Samala
11/03/2005, 01:07 PM
Probably one will eventually outcompete the other if you let it go long enough and you'll be left with one species. Keep in mind Chaetomorpha is much easier on you as it does not have such a tendency to release zoospores (or 'go sexual') that the Caulerpas are infamous for. Its a pod haven which is nice, but it acts like living filter floss. At each water change or harvest its a good idea to rinse out the Chaeto ball in a bucket of water (even tap water) to get rid of the extra detritus.

>Sarah

smoney
11/03/2005, 05:03 PM
OOh cool! I know when I got my caulerpa, I got it from a guy that had been running a tank for like 3 years. I later found out when my friend told me, that they go sexual. The chaeto is coming from a guy who claims to have starfish and a bunch of little critters in it.