PDA

View Full Version : SCWD/back pressure

Grunt007
11/02/2005, 02:11 PM
How much head height does a SCWD(squid) add to a sump return?
Here's my plan-how does it sound?
55gal main(set-up already)
Adding:
20g sump
CPR overflow-600GPH (1")
SCWD on return w/ about 3.5 ft. head height.
Will the Mag 9.5 be able to push through the head height and SCWD and still keep up w/ the overflow?

Julio
11/02/2005, 02:57 PM
I don't think that it adds much head pressure at all, but you can contact the manufacturer and they will surely give you an answer.

Whaledriver
11/02/2005, 02:59 PM
I have a mag12 with a similar setup and it cant max out the overflow. I would guess that the SQWD will cost you about 200 gph.

One thing to do to get more flow is to run 1 inch lines into and out of the SWID. Remember that all the flow goes through one outlet at a time and 600 gph on a 3/4 gives you alot of back pressure.

I think you will like the flow and effect.

Grunt007
11/02/2005, 03:50 PM
I'm looking for medium-high flow with as few power heads in the tank as possible. Would you recommend a Mag 12 instead of 9.5 to stay closer to 600 GPH?

uscgbeachbum
11/02/2005, 04:29 PM
A 1" overflow doesn't really mean it will flow 600 gph. It is the theoretical maximum. I know mine only does about 350 gph. Your overflow will keep up with any flow rate UP to that amount; you don't need to base your pump around your overflow rate. I have a Mag 9.5 on my tank with a SQWD. With the one Mag 9.5 I run my ETSS skimmer, SQWD, and still need to throttle it back a bit.

Kenfuzed
11/02/2005, 05:46 PM
I found the easiest way to estimate the SQWD reduction pressure was to use the RC head loss calculator. To calculate the SQWD count it as 2 90 degree elbows, 1 swing valve, and 2 pipe exits. If using 1" tubing and reducing to 3/4" then count that as a union (3). This should give you a close estimate of the approximate head loss. The loss will vary depending on whether you use a regular or pressure rated pump. Pressure rated pumps will have far less loss.

Example I copied from the RC Head Loss Calculator

Vertical length in feet: 5
Horizontal length in feet: 3
Pipe diameter in inches: 1
Choose your pump: Mag9
Number of 90 degree elbows: 4
Number of 45 degree elbows:
Number of gate valves:
Number of ball valves:
Number of union couplings: 3
Number of swing check valves: 2
Number of pipe exits: 2
Number of pipe entrances: 1

Total losses are 7.13 feet of head pressure, or 3.08 PSI. with a flow rate of 636 GPH. Process took 57 iterations.

I added 1 foot of vertical length, 2 of the 4 elbows, 1 of the swing valves, and the 3 union couplings were used to represent the SQWD. The remaining parts are actually part of the system I calculated. Roughly your loss is approximately 92 gph.

Given your overflow maxes out at 600gph, you would need to back your flow down slightly with a ball or gate valve. Use a gate valve if you can since they are more easier to adjust.

stugray
11/02/2005, 06:22 PM
I ran a mag 9.5 and a CPR overflow ( CS100 ), and I couldnt drive enough to exceed the overflow even without a SQWD.

I would go w/ the Mag 12 and add a ball valve, just in case you need to throttle down a bit.

Be very careful with the CPR overflow. I had problems with mine ( none catastrophic though ).

If you are using the aqualifter option, buy at least one extra aqualifter. They seem to quit running after 3 months ( the flapper valves come loose, and it can actually pump in the wrong direction )

Stu

Grunt007
11/03/2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Kenfuzed
I found the easiest way to estimate the SQWD reduction pressure was to use the RC head loss calculator. To calculate the SQWD count it as 2 90 degree elbows, 1 swing valve, and 2 pipe exits. If using 1" tubing and reducing to 3/4" then count that as a union (3). This should give you a close estimate of the approximate head loss.
LOL I'm not sure how you came up w/ that, but I'll take your word that it's accurate(or atleast close). So it looks like a Mag 9.5 should be alright but there is still one vote for a 12...hmm. Anyone else? Thanks

Bastianelli
11/04/2005, 07:23 PM
Everybody talking mags here. If possible I would recommend having your sump drilled and using an external pump like a Gen-X. May just be personal preference but I like the external idea rather than the internal. In my 90g setup it was always a pain to get at the pump (mag7) as it was in the sump and there was little head clearance over the sump. Having an internal pump also adds heat to the tank. Also my mag7 had a problem, been running for 2.5yrs but for whatever reason the front of the case snapped locking up the impeller then causing it to heat and the motor case then swelled and water rushed in and Poof went the power to everything. The company (Danner) said they had no problem replacing it as they are unsure what went wrong with it, or why it did it. (I was running the included pre-filter). So the customer service with them is good and it ran great for 2.5yrs. But after upgrading to an external gen-x I could never go back to having that pump sit in my sump take up space and heat my water. I put ball valves on both sides of my external pump and a union on one end for easy removal. My only problem so far was I had bought cheap fitting from menards instead of ordering them from the irrigation place as I normally do because I was in a pinch and needed them right away, well needless to say my fittings leaked for a little white. But that has been fixed now and added a SQCD to the return pump and love it. Only have been using it for about a month, but love the current it adds to the tank, much much better than what I had before.

sjm817
11/04/2005, 07:57 PM
I have a Mag9.5 and a SCWD and I can say the flow loss is huge. In my case, I wanted to cut the flow through the sump so that was a desired effect. It will soon be replaced with a mag7 and OM Squirt.

roader247
11/04/2005, 08:12 PM
I've been running a scwed for about a year I like it but head loss is great at least 200 gallons maybe more.

scottfarcuz
11/04/2005, 08:56 PM
Manufacturer listed flow rates for scwd's

http://www.3iqventures.com/literature.html

Grunt007
11/05/2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by scottfarcuz
Manufacturer listed flow rates for scwd's

http://www.3iqventures.com/literature.html
I saw that. Then I read a few post by people w/ first hand experience w/ the SCWD who said those numbers where off. It does not run as "efficiently" as that chart claims. The flow was much greater.

Grunt007
11/05/2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Bastianelli
Everybody talking mags here. If possible I would recommend having your sump drilled and using an external pump like a Gen-X.
W/ a 55g I just don't have the room under the tank w/ all the ballasts, etc.

Bastianelli
11/06/2005, 10:33 PM
The space issue... Yuk :) Other ideas.. Build a bench along side the aqurium to give you room for more equipment :)