PDA

View Full Version : aquaC Urchin Skimmer - Difference between Maxi-Jet and Mag 3?

anjhof
11/02/2005, 02:10 PM
I have a AquaC urchin skimmer with the maxi-jet pump. I was considering upgrading to a mag 3 - is it worth it? As it is today, my skimmer does not get that much c-r-a-p out of the tank. Would this help? The mag 3 is only rated at 50 gph more than the maxi-jet. Not sure if this would be enough to matter.
:bum:

peluche
11/02/2005, 03:26 PM
The ordinary Remora sold with the Maxijet pump is smaller than the Remora Pro version that comes with a Mag3.

I do not think you can upgrade the standard Remora with a bigger pump.

You may want to ask Aqua-C customer service to validate what I have said.

outprowllin
11/02/2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by anjhof
As it is today, my skimmer does not get that much c-r-a-p out of the tank. Would this help? The mag 3 is only rated at 50 gph more than the maxi-jet. Not sure if this would be enough to matter.
:bum:

well i have an urchin pro , which is pretty much the same thing. i had a rio 1800 on it and i wasnt impressed. i just added a mag 3 and it is definatly better. but sitting next to it is a coral life 65...it is producing twice the waste as the urchin in the same amount of time. also the waste is much darker...and this is with the pump that came with it...so before you spend the money on a pump you might want to look around at the other options....just my two cents....jaime

psyrob
11/03/2005, 01:20 AM
I have to second that thought...I bought the urchin with great hopes in January...It has performed only slightly better than the old SeaClone I used to have. If I clean the blow hole thing I get better production for about two days, but never more than a quarter cup a day. To do it all over again, I would have gotten a ASM or Euroreef

My two cents...

anjhof
11/03/2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback...any other thoughts?

rykwong
11/03/2005, 06:28 PM
Hey try this. I have a reg. remora and I glued a rubberband around the bottom of the collection cup. Someone here on RC told me about it. I think it certainly helps because it prevents bubbles from leaking out of the camber and instead forces them up the collection cup. Hope you're following. LMK.