PDA

View Full Version : My horse tank... ready to become a stable :-)

WarDaddy
11/02/2005, 10:22 AM
Here is the tank that I will be putting 4 Erectus in on Saturday Evening :-)

http://gifford-family.smugmug.com/photos/42639689-M.jpg
http://gifford-family.smugmug.com/photos/42639692-M.jpg

Real simple setup:

Remora Skimmer, XP3 Canister, Artica 1/10hp chiller, and soon to add Small AquaFuge for pod grow out.

XP3 is filled with rubble, levels are nice and steady. Whoot.

I think I am going to add a Catalina Goby and a Blue Spotted Jawfish.

Should be a fun tank.

dodgerblew
11/02/2005, 10:46 AM
Very nice tank.

I didn't think they were bringing in those jawfish from Mexico, but if they are "definitely" pass without a tight fitting lid. Carpet surfing will be a guarantee!

WarDaddy
11/02/2005, 10:56 AM
Will Egg Crate be ok to keep them in?

dodgerblew
11/02/2005, 11:00 AM
I had one that would repeatedly get thru overflow slats, anything where there was space until I finally just let him live in the sump/fuge for about 6 months until he finally got sucked into return. Bottom line- they jump. they are fun fish and beautiful but they will also undermine your aquascaping. Good luck. Again, I didn't think they were available but that was awhile back.

sharkdude
11/02/2005, 11:04 AM
should be a cool tank.
how big are the erectus? I once read that seahorses need a tall (vertical height) tank to successfully transfer egss and sperm during their mating dance?
did you go with captive bred?
what do you plan to feed them?

russ49merc
11/02/2005, 11:06 AM
that's some nice rock and sand. :)

drake66
11/02/2005, 11:28 AM
very natural look, excellent!

NicoleC
11/02/2005, 11:41 AM
Very nice! They might appreciate more "easy" hitching spots, especially at first. No doubt your caulerpa will grow and provide an abundance of hitching posts, but it looks a little thin right now. Maybe a fake finger sponge or some such item can be picked up cheaply as a temporary addition.

What are you going to use for a feeding station?

drake66
11/02/2005, 11:45 AM
some tonga branch would be a good addition for hitching spots as nicole mentioned...

SirLight1337
11/02/2005, 11:49 AM
If you want more macro and greens in the tank, i just unpacked the coral shipment for Jeffs Exotic fish orange location yesterday. They got in quite a few large macro algae rocks. this stuff is all bushy and resembles mini palm tree stocks.

Good looking tank. Snap some pics when you get the horses in there.

dodgerblew
11/02/2005, 12:04 PM
Also, you can go to your local LFS and see if they have some expired or on the way out Gorgonions pieces. They look great too and are a natural hitching spot for them. I did that at Aquatic Outlet and they gave me two and then gorgs came back to life.

WarDaddy
11/02/2005, 02:57 PM
I plan on getting a few fake corals in the next day or 2, I keep adding algae types, to see what I like, as I find them.

I am going with Captive Breed Erectus, they get to about 6". The tank is 20" tall, so I should be ok with space.

Jumpers, huh, I have glass top I can cut and modify, I think. Maybe I will go to HD and get some cheap acrylic and make a top.

Feeding station is my mission for lunch, I want Scallop shell, maybe small Abalone, suction cups and some epoxy. I am planning on 2 feeding stations for them. They have been raised on Frozen Mysis, and that is what they will continue to get :-)

hom much undermining do I have to worry about? Should I place base rock down to the bottom and build up from there? That might not be fun to do now.

dodgerblew
11/02/2005, 03:38 PM
they like to dig burrows under rock work

WarDaddy
11/02/2005, 04:37 PM
Got some good looking fake corals for hitching posts for the early stages of the tank. Also picked up some nice scallop shells and suction cups.

Now I have to figure out how to get me a blue spotted goby, my LFS is getting Catalina Gobies today. Humm, what else will I need?

sharkdude
11/02/2005, 04:55 PM
diy seahorse feeder?
http://www.masla.com/invert/seahorsefeeder.html