PDA

View Full Version : anything I shouldn't keep?

mlb75
11/01/2005, 11:54 PM
I've got my new tank going together now and was just wondering if there's anything I shouldn't keep because of light requirements. I have a 180 gallon setup 72x24x24 and have 834 watts via 3 150 watt HQI 10K MH and 4 96 watt actinic PC. Any thoughts on the light good or bad, I'd rather know now so I could change it out now this is the fixture I'm using BTW, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12113&N=2004+113352

I've used VHO etc before but ended up going with this because I liked the unit as a whole, without a hood over the tank the design of the light fixture became as important to me as the output. I definitely would like to know though if others have had good or bad experience with said fixture.

Randall_James
11/02/2005, 12:06 AM
at 24" deep the 150W might start to poop out before it gets to the floor. Anything that requires "Big" light will need to be elevated a bit. 24" is the borderline depth for 250W MH. And some suggest 400w at that depth. If it is not too late to swap, I would get at least the 250W IMO

szwab
11/02/2005, 01:42 AM
what types of critters do you plan to keep? with that lighting you will be fairly limited to what ( where) you can keep things in your tank depending on the species.

mlb75
11/02/2005, 08:04 AM
As to what I'd like to keep I'm not real sure but probably some leather, zoo's, a brain (open and closed)or two, I'm not real concerned about alot of the SPS or LPS a couple might be neat but if so I'd just plan to keep them near the top of the tank. Any porblems with that? What kind of critters require HIGH light that wouldn't work?

szwab
11/02/2005, 08:13 AM
the corals you listed will be fine. most sps would be out unless kept at the very top of the tank. but even then not really an ideal situation for growth. You would also need to steer clear of clams as they need very intense lighting to be healthy and thrive. LPS with careful placement should be fine.

I personally think you'd be happier in the long run with stronger lighting on that tank. the investment is not much more to go 250's with an added bonus of having a greater choice in bulbs. That said the 150's if you are set on them would work.