PDA

View Full Version : Quick! I need a woman!

dinoman
10/30/2005, 06:39 PM
To give me a nail file! Just clipped Harley's nails now I need a file to knock off a few of those burrs, and I can't find one in the house anywhere! :rolleyes: Seesh! You think mom would have gotten one sometime down the line, darned if I can find one though.

chiliaddik
10/30/2005, 06:41 PM
take him for a walk down a rough road, that'll take care of that. Or use some sandpaper!

dinoman
10/30/2005, 06:45 PM
:p Never thought about sandpaper, might have to try that. Have one back foot to do still that he didn't feel like giving me.

sherm71tank
10/30/2005, 06:48 PM
Cowboy Logic: Awww heck, since when did cowboys and logic go together?

daistarya
10/30/2005, 06:51 PM
I second the long walk. :cool:

iCam
10/30/2005, 06:51 PM
Nail files make me want to pass out.

I quit biting my nails not long ago, and I can't cut nails straight, so I sometimes use a nail file to even things out. I really despise nail files.

And, no, I do not buy nail files. I have one in a bathroom kit I have.

dc
10/30/2005, 06:52 PM
No file in the barn? There's lots of things you could use. Your Mom got a pumice stone?

dinoman
10/30/2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by sherm71tank
Cowboy Logic: Awww heck, since when did cowboys and logic go together?

:D Darned if I know but it sounds impressive...

Speaking of clipping nails, what do all the doggy people out there like? I've been using the type you stick the nail in and clip it off but they're just a cheap pair and the blade is dull already so think I might pick up a new pair ;). Just wondering what works better....

dc
10/30/2005, 06:59 PM
I used one like that, and it had a guard on it so you could only do a little at a time.

dc
10/30/2005, 06:59 PM
My friend uses a dremel!

dinoman
10/30/2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by daistarya
I second the long walk. :cool:

:p He's going out in just a little bit! Needs to get his evening checkup of where the rabbits are ;).

Originally posted by dc
Your Mom got a pumice stone?

Not that I know of! She hasn't bought anything for her nails, since I can remember :).

dinoman
10/30/2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by dc
My friend uses a dremel!

:) I've heard of a lot of people using dremels. Haven't tried it before with Harley because he doesn't exactly like getting his nails clipped right now (he isn't wild but likes to hide) so I'm not sure how he would do with a dremel wizzing around working on his feet.

VoidRaven
10/30/2005, 07:13 PM
We use one of the clippers with the guard on it so in *theory* you don't cut too much and hit the vein. We've cut too far once....only once....on Journey. It was several years ago when we were living in a duplex apartment. Had him in the driveway in early winter clipping his nails and hit the vein....blood *everywhere*! On the driveway, in the snow, on me....it was chaos! Yelping dog drawing all the attention of the neighbors. I felt horrible. Finally got it under control. Had to go grab a bucket of how water to wash down the driveway. Not a fun day. Since then we've been a little gun-shy when trimming the dogs' nails.

chiliaddik
10/30/2005, 07:29 PM
I've done that too, cutting too far and hitting the vein...a little baking soda with water to make a paste will help soothe the pain a little and clog the hole. (Use a Q-tip)

VoidRaven
10/30/2005, 07:31 PM
Yeah, we figured that out.......*after* 20 minutes of frantic OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! and a phone call to my FIL asking what we should do.

chiliaddik
10/30/2005, 07:32 PM
yeah, it's best to make the paste *AHEAD* of time, in case. Of course you never need it when you are prepared, you need it AFTER you've cut the vein and need something QUICK!

Nina51
10/30/2005, 08:17 PM
i absolutely HATE trimming the corgis' nails. i take them to the groomer every 2 weeks for it. i can't believe how close she can get to that vein without nicking it! after she clips, she smooths with a dremel and uses electric clippers to trim the fur around their pads. simon tolerates it well. when maggie gets done, she struts around like a freaking movie starlet. :)

joeychitwood
10/30/2005, 09:36 PM
Quick! I need a woman to.....bring me a Diet Coke and some chocolate cake! Hurry!

dinoman
10/30/2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by joeychitwood
Quick! I need a woman to.....bring me a Diet Coke and some chocolate cake! Hurry!

Bimbo! Hurry! We need one of your cakes with the peanut butter frosting ;)...

dc
10/30/2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by joeychitwood

:eek2: Got to cut the calories somewhere huh?

der_wille_zur_macht
10/30/2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by dinoman
Quick! I need a woman!

Oh, the places this line could go. . .

BTW, I tried "trimming" my own nails with a sanding drum on a dremel once. Ouch!

dc
10/30/2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by VoidRaven
We use one of the clippers with the guard on it so in *theory* you don't cut too much and hit the vein. We've cut too far once....only once....on Journey. It was several years ago when we were living in a duplex apartment. Had him in the driveway in early winter clipping his nails and hit the vein....blood *everywhere*! On the driveway, in the snow, on me....it was chaos! Yelping dog drawing all the attention of the neighbors. I felt horrible. Finally got it under control. Had to go grab a bucket of how water to wash down the driveway. Not a fun day. Since then we've been a little gun-shy when trimming the dogs' nails.

Well you can make the 'quick' shorter by clipping them more often. If you don't keep styptic powder around cornstarch is a fair alternative. You should have the cornstarch close. I have styptic powder for the birds, but I have sand perches now so I don't have to trim them. I'll do a dog anyday.

emilye2
10/31/2005, 06:27 AM
Ugh! And you've got black nails to work with too! Hate black nails! Timber had one black toenail and it was always longer than the rest because I just didn't trust myself!

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=N5WRJ6ES8XGH9NUR7P5WGJT6LPF023RC

Made by Miller's Forge a good name in scissors for grooming. This is the pair I have and it works great. The extra size makes it really easy to cut without pinching the nail. I hate the guillitene cutters (what you have now) because it sqeezes the nail, yanks hair if you get it cut and you have to try to put the nail of a wiggly dog into a hole before you can cut it!! These will run you about $16 but it'll be the last pair you buy. :D

dinoman
10/31/2005, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by emilye2
Ugh! And you've got black nails to work with too! Hate black nails! Timber had one black toenail and it was always longer than the rest because I just didn't trust myself!

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=N5WRJ6ES8XGH9NUR7P5WGJT6LPF023RC

Made by Miller's Forge a good name in scissors for grooming. This is the pair I have and it works great. The extra size makes it really easy to cut without pinching the nail. I hate the guillitene cutters (what you have now) because it sqeezes the nail, yanks hair if you get it cut and you have to try to put the nail of a wiggly dog into a hole before you can cut it!! These will run you about $16 but it'll be the last pair you buy. :D

:D Actually no, most of Harley's are white. He has two black nails, both on the front feet. I'll have to take a look at those clippers....

VoidRaven
10/31/2005, 06:39 AM
I can't pull up the link....keeps going to a general product screen and not the scissors that emilye is talking about.

dinoman
10/31/2005, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by VoidRaven
I can't pull up the link....keeps going to a general product screen and not the scissors that emilye is talking about.

Me either, it always redirects to their new products page. I've even copied and pasted the address and it still redirects. Em...oh Em, can you give us a item number? I see you can search by item number.

Is it either of these...

Safety Cut Nail Clipper
$4.10

(Millers Forge) Sure-grip handles and safety bar to help prevent overcutting. Made in Italy.

OR...

Smart Trim™ Adjustable Nail Clipper and Electric File

The new generation in nail grooming. Combines trimming & filing in 1 convenient, easy-to-use tool. Features an electronic nail file, adjustable nail stop, stainless steel blade & collection tray to catch nail clippings. For pets less than 30 lbs. Operates on (2) "AAA" battery (included).
Small - for pets less than 30 lbs.
Large - for pets over 30 lbs.

2P-A1 Smart Trim™ Adjustable Nail Clipper and Electric File, large $19.95
2P-S1 Smart Trim™ Adjustable Nail Clipper and Electric File, small

emilye2
10/31/2005, 07:11 AM
$@%!*! I always forget which site does that!

Try this:
http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/productb.asp?catalog_name=jbwholesale&product_id=182-0122

YOu'll want the B version. :)

dinoman
10/31/2005, 07:20 AM
:D "Writes on Christmas list........"

emilye2
10/31/2005, 07:26 AM
It's a nice one! And I know I can take it to the big dog show here where they have scissor sharpening and get it tuned up if I need too because it's a quality name. :) Just don't take his toe off with them!!

dinoman
10/31/2005, 07:33 AM
:eek: I'm guessing I would need a little more than some Kwik Stop to stop the bleeding from missing toes?

dc
10/31/2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by dinoman
:eek: I'm guessing I would need a little more than some Kwik Stop to stop the bleeding from missing toes?

I think you can handle it.