PDA

View Full Version : faltworm early detection

jent46bow
10/29/2005, 10:06 PM
Hi,
I have recently noticed that a few of my mushrooms have flatworms on them. They have not spread yet, they are only on around 4 or 5 mushrooms. Is there something I can do to kick this epedmic before it starts? I have been taking a turkey baster and suck them off the mushrooms about once every other day. But I don't know if this will work long term. The flatworms are almost clear and I have noticed NO change in the mushrooms growth, and they still open up just as big. Is this just because I noticed this so early? Thanks in advanced

kass03
10/30/2005, 03:32 AM
I don't think the clear ones harm anything anyway from what I've read about them.

kass

melev
10/30/2005, 04:26 AM
I have a feeling those are the larger kind, maybe 1/4" long and 1/8" wide. They look like a potato chip, but virtually clear, right? Get them out of your tank now, as they'll eat something you care about down the road. If they are isolated now, get them out any way you can. If they are smaller, and opaque and look like the same shape as reddish ones, those are benign and can be ignored.

jent46bow
10/30/2005, 10:52 AM
they are smaller....around 2mm wide and maybe 4mm long, but sorta clear. They are not 100% clear, they are more milky white in colour but they do take the colour of what they are on, thats why I call them clear. I sucked out a bunch yesterday and don't see any more this morning, otherwise I would take a pic. But from my description do you think these are a bad form of flatworms? If so what is your best recomendations on how to remove? Is my turkey baster method as good as it gets?

jent46bow
10/30/2005, 02:39 PM
is it the red ones or the clear/white ones that are dangerous? I know the red ones can grow to pleage populations. But will the clear/white ones damage or kill my corals? Will they do anything at all that I should care about?

jent46bow
10/30/2005, 07:30 PM
bump....i really want to know if the clear/white worms i have are dangerous....

melev
10/30/2005, 09:43 PM
Opaque ones are benign. Nothing to worry about.

My site is about to go down for the rest of this month, but you can read this article on Nov 1st when I get a new month worth of bandwidth again: http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html