PDA

View Full Version : filters

mojo215
03/08/2002, 06:32 PM
Could someone please tell me of a good filter other than a cannister. I just disconnected my EHEIM for GOOD. Nothing but a nitrate factory and a real pain to clean.

I just bought an Emperor 280. I have a 75 gl with a sump, and overflow. I noticed that my over flow isn't drawing as much as it did. The Emperor isn't as strong as I thought it would be. I see a lot of particles floating past it.

I need something strong enough to pull particles out but not the fish. I hate the look the Emperor is doing to my tank. I have to hang it on the side because they put the tank to close to the wall and this big black thing is just an eye sore

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
MOJO:confused:

Little Reefer Boy
03/08/2002, 06:52 PM
If you have a DSB and/or a good amount of live rock, you really don't need extra mechanical filtration. You can hook up a protien skimmer to the sump.

With enough DSB and LR, the tank will take care of itself and any particulate matter. You might add powerheads in the tank if you need more circulation.

mojo215
03/09/2002, 08:15 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply. I have 4 mini rio pumps in the tank for circulation and a berling proterin skimmer running. This morning the tank was clearer than ever after running the emperor for less than a day. I don't know if it was adding the emperor or getting rid of the eheim.

I was always told you needed extra filtration. It can't hurt.

Thanks again
MOJO

Nek
03/09/2002, 09:16 AM
Is this a reef or a fo?? If its a reef, you dont want crystal clear water. Many of the 'floatees' can be beneficial plankton. In a reef, 'extra filtration' CAN hurt.

mojo215
03/09/2002, 09:26 AM
It's a fo with lr. I do want to add mushrooms sometime soon will the extra filtration hurt?

My lfs gave me this huge song and dance on extra filtration and sold me the eheim for 300

On line its only 150 and now its in my basement. Should I return the Emperor?

MOJO

Nek
03/09/2002, 09:47 AM
Without re-reading the post, do you have a DSB?? and how much LR??

Return the filter, you have to be careful what the LFS "talks" you into buying. Most people with these setups dont run any mech. filters at all. As you realized, they are nitrate factories.