PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Yellow Tang

rockybound
03/08/2002, 03:34 PM
Hello!

Just need a little advice - what would be a good alternative to a yellow tang for a 45 gallon reef tank? I've been reading that 45 gallons is probably too small to house a yellow tang (dang it), but would still like the benefits of a tang in my system. Any thoughts? Thanks.

jacksonpt
03/08/2002, 03:50 PM
Perhaps a Kole Tang. I had one in my 75... did a better job cleaning than the yellow I have now. Neat looking fish, imo... but not everyone likes them.

c_lou
03/08/2002, 03:58 PM
Rocky- What about a lawnmower or bi-color blenny?

Both are fairly good at munching algea. If that is what you meant by having the same benefits as a tang.

Just thowing down a couple of pennies.

Corey

rockybound
03/08/2002, 04:05 PM
Will a bi-color blenny do the same things as a lawnmower blenny? And will both eat algae like a tang? Thanks for the replies!

c_lou
03/08/2002, 04:10 PM
Rocky - My bi-color actually at more algea than my Yellow tang. Of course my Tang didn't eat very much algea. I think I got a stuck up tang.:D He never wanted to eat the algea that I put in the tank. Always wanted frozen food.

IMO the blenny was a lot funner(?) to watch. He would dart out and get some food then retreat to his hole in the rock. Half of the time I couldn't see him. Just his head was poking out. He also would pick algea off of the live rock. He would dive bomb the rock and glass. Funnier than He** to watch.

Just throwing in a couple of pennies.

Corey