PDA

View Full Version : What is a refugium? How do i set one up?

v8maro
10/26/2005, 12:52 PM
Like the questions above. Also, does this replace my current overflow system?
thanks
-Steve

MCary
10/26/2005, 01:50 PM
A refugium is a place where fish can't get into. This allows macroalgae and critters to grow without predation. A refuge from the evil forces of hunger. It can be anything your creative heart desires. A section of your sump, a separate tank or rubbermade container, something that hangs in the tank or outside the tank, whatever you can imagine.

Here's mine:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/mwcary_1959/DSCF0396.jpg

phisigs79
10/26/2005, 01:57 PM
nice setup

geekreef_05
10/26/2005, 02:19 PM
yah, its true. Lots of people go through the trouble to sepeate out sections of their fuge and stuff like that. I just threw everything into a spare tank: carbon, macro, LR rubble, some clean up critters, and called it day on my sump. Its been working great for me.

happy reefin'

mlb75
10/26/2005, 02:30 PM
I've been talked into one but since I'm just now setting up my tank should I hold off in getting the rufuge going or just strat it up with the rest of the tank and let it ride out the cycle with plants etc in there. Also should I use DSB then broken up LR then plants. Should I have anything in there like snails etc? Also I will be feeding mine out of my sump and then the water will flow back into the sump before being returned to the main tank via mag 24, is that ok or will the pump kill anything good (pods) that come out of the fuge before they get back to the tank?

Thanks

fernandez5
10/26/2005, 08:56 PM
mine is just a 10 gallon with a dual 36 watt pc. I use calerpa and chaeto algae and i have my pumps and skimmer in there too. I just put those little rubbermaid containers over the strainers on the pumps so the algae doesnt clog them up. Oh and I leave the lights on it 24/7 b/c you want the algae to grow not reproduce. If you have a tang you can feed it some of the calerpa but you may reenter some of the chemicals i.e.(nitrate, phosphate) back into the tank. Hope it helps I dont use any bioballs or really any mechanical filtrationC:\Documents and Settings\WJ\My Documents\My Pictures\Pictures Downloaded from AOL\SavedFromMail\ygp7A0A.jpg

fernandez5
10/26/2005, 09:00 PM
C:\Documents and Settings\WJ\My Documents\My Pictures\Pictures Downloaded from AOL\SavedFromMail\ygp7A0A.jpg

fernandez5
10/26/2005, 09:28 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/irocn8798/ygp7A0A.jpg

v8maro
10/27/2005, 07:35 AM
wow, very nice both of you! So I have a spare 35gallon just sitting around, would this eliminate the need for my sump? I have bio balls and want to remove them and I was hoping a fuge would do the filtering for me, is this correct?
What kind of lighting do i need? I have an old light from my freshwater canopy but I dont mind buying another cheap one, anything out there? I heard something about walmart plant lamps being good?
So is it basically water pours in, there is algea and snails/crabs living in it, is it bare bottom? or do I want a ton of LR or sand and get some live sand in there? Then a pump to put it back in the tank? Is it sectioned off?

Other possible problem, i think my brother may have done a copper treatment in this spare tank, what is the best way of making sure there is absolutely 0 copper in there?

cwegescheide
10/27/2005, 07:47 AM
So I am a real doofus... Everybody knows... :)

So you just let the Chaeto floating in the water column with a light on it 24/7 correct?? Of course try to isolate it in your sump so that it doesn't clog anything up and cause problems. This will help remove Nitrate/Phosphate from the water column?

Taggin along on this one. I really don't want to buy a bunch of equipment if I don't have to...

fernandez5
10/27/2005, 09:19 PM
I took little rubbermaid or glad food containers and put little holes in them and then put a big hole in it to fit over the pump strainer for the skimmer my return is a rio1700 and the strainer is pretty good but i had no substrate in my sump/fuge and i would just get a nice portion of chaeto or calerpa racemosa(my tangs like it) and set a rock in the middle but dont cover it all up you want it to grow from the bottom up not floating around, and my lighting is a dual 36w pc 50/50. The freshwater hood light might not be enough and you can use those floodlight style clip on lamps from home depot ive heard but you need to get a bulb of a higher kelvin. hope this helps

onecrzyboi4u
10/27/2005, 10:01 PM
how much would it cost to set up a fudge? parts wise..

v8maro
10/28/2005, 07:59 AM
TTT for all our newb questions

kau_cinta_ku
10/28/2005, 08:07 AM
how much would it cost to set up a fudge? parts wise..

depends on how big you want. i just got a used 30 gal that i am setting up for my 75 gal and the total cost to turn it into a sump/fuge was 50.00 for the tank, baffels, sand, and macro. not bad if you ask me. or you can buy a premade one for 100.00 - 300.00 big diff.

bendavis
10/28/2005, 11:22 AM
http://www.underwaymusic.com/images/BensApartment/currentsetup.jpg

this is kinda what our setup looks like. right now, only the fuge and reef are linked, but we are thining about putting the FOWLR on it as well...

-Ben

bendavis
10/28/2005, 11:27 AM
cost of fuge
------
10g tank= free
PVC pipe and fittings = maybe 5 bucks
custom made small overflow = almost ten dollars
powerhead to pump to fuge= 60 bones
skimmer= $200

total cost= $275.00

and a GREAT investment.

bendavis
10/28/2005, 11:32 AM
plus a plant light, and a clamp on fixture= $10

yes, a plant light will do fine, unless you plan on moving fragile corals in there, which i assume you arent.

as far as your question about pods, most will make it through the pumps, they are pretty small. but you will lose some. unless you put your fuge above the water level of your display, there isnt a way to escape that.

-Ben

v8maro
10/29/2005, 12:30 AM
What should I do about my possible copper problem in my tank?
Should I use live sand (4") on the bottom?
Do I need live rock down there too? Or just the chaeto etc?

mikeatjac
10/29/2005, 06:24 AM
Free floating chaeto is best without LR

v8maro
10/30/2005, 02:30 AM
copper?

reefman2001
10/30/2005, 07:26 AM
IMO, I guess if it was me and there was a chance of having copper in the tank, I wouldn't use it.

Salamander
10/30/2005, 10:33 AM
Don't risk using a tank with copper in it. What you could lose in the long run would likely be more expensive than a new tank.

v8maro
10/30/2005, 04:21 PM
Is there anything out there to remove the copper tho? I'd like to try first, set it up, have it running for a few months and test again.