PDA

View Full Version : Do I need 2 overflow chambers on a 180 gal?

blitzpb
03/08/2002, 01:03 PM
I want to be sure I get may tank drilled int he correct places when I actually go to pick it. up. Should I have two overflow chambers? If I do, do I just run both lines in the side of my sump with the skimmer or is there something else I should do with it? What about the return line. How do I run the return line if I am running two overflows? Can I bring the return line up through the overflow?

Nick

Little Reefer Boy
03/08/2002, 03:06 PM
I had my 75g drilled as well. I installed the corner overflows as well.

I chose to have a total of 4 holes drilled, 2 in each corner. Each corner has one drain line and one return line. You don't necessarily need the return lines coming up through the overflow, but I chose to because I didn't want the plumbing running up the back of the tank. I wanted the tank to be able to sit right up against the room wall.

Make sure you know the measurements if whoever is drilling you tank is not familiar with them. If you want the use 1" plumbing, the actual holes will need to be larger to accommodate the bulkheads. Most 1" bulkheads need a 1 3/4" hole, for example.

blitzpb
03/08/2002, 03:09 PM
Thats great! How are you getting your return lines past the overflow boxes into the tank itself? Did you just split your return pump line to accompish your dual returns?

thank you,

Nick

Little Reefer Boy
03/08/2002, 03:26 PM
I have 1" pvc that comes up my overflow for the returns. I then have a 3-way elbow just above the top of the overflow. To this I have connected loc-line tubing. The included pic is my left overflow. The right overflow is done the same way. I chose to do it this way for the versatility to add more later. I have no powerheads, cords, or other pumps in the main tank.

blitzpb
03/08/2002, 03:33 PM
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Nick

Little Reefer Boy
03/08/2002, 03:36 PM
this is a pic below the tank. The return pump enters the 1.5" T, then is split to both sides. I can use the gate valves for adjustment.

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=385338

blitzpb
03/08/2002, 04:12 PM
Is that a check valve? HAve you had any problems with it, or do you clean it somehow?

Little Reefer Boy
03/08/2002, 04:18 PM
They are gate valves. They are used instead of ball valves because they can be fine tuned much better.

blitzpb
03/08/2002, 05:58 PM
What is the grey device on the left side?

Sorry for the 20 q's

Little Reefer Boy
03/08/2002, 06:21 PM
The grey thing is a union.