PDA

View Full Version : Good LFS in SFBay area?

Stefan_B
03/08/2002, 11:39 AM
Hi everyone,

Doing my research and was wondering if any of the SFBay area folks had a favorite reef knowledgable LFS that you would recommend. I have been into Seascapes in Mountain View and they seem ok but was wondering what other stores are out there.

I am currently going through the learning process around setting up a 55 or 75 gal system in my apartment in Los Altos. I think I am going to put some jacks in the crawl space to support the larger tank. The reason I wanted a good LFS now is that I want to see what some of these tanks and stands look like as this is all new to me. I am pretty sold on Acrylic tanks as they are lighter and stronger in case there is an earthquake.

On the flip side I could always go smaller.

Thanks for the help and advice in advance.

Stefan

CLloyd24
03/08/2002, 12:04 PM
Well I used to live in Saratoga and always went to Dolphin Pet Village in Campbell. It is the best pet store that I have ever been to. It is big, clean, great selection, decent prices, and the staff actually lnows what they are talking about. They have different departments for fish, reptiles, birds, small animals etc. I haven't been there in about three years since I moved but I wish that there was a pet store half as good as them in Manhattan. Anyways look them up in the Yellow Pages, unless they've changed a lot in the last few years you won't be disappointed.

HTH

bigduke
03/08/2002, 01:01 PM
I live in Los Gatos and have only checked out Brians Fish World in South San Jose (by my work) and the Fish Tank in Sunnyvale. I like both of those stores but don't have anything to compare them to. Still need to check out other stores.
This is from a recent thread from Marco:
As far as local fish stores I think I have hit just about everyone along the peninsula to south bay. Brian’s is cool, a bit pricey and small. The owner of the Fish Tank just about ran me out of the store, when I mentioned to him that I could buy an expensive item he had for half the price elsewhere. I like going to dolphin in Cupertino, and T&T on first in San Jose (Nice Live stock). Amazon off of Branham and Camden in SJ is OK. Though the last time I went there about six months ago they were remodeling and their saltwater section was not up. I also go to this shop off Saratoga called tropical fish intl for advice. Seascapes in Mountain View is cool, though the owner can be cocky. I just went to a store in San Bruno called underwater world, WOW they had the largest selection of reefing I’ve seen.

Stefan_B
03/08/2002, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the replys bigDuke and CLloyd24. Great list of stores that I will go and check out.

BigDuke, do you have a favorite place to get a acrylic tank and stand?

Thanks
Stefan

bigduke
03/08/2002, 04:23 PM
Stefan,
I bought an 100 gallon acryllic from the Fish Tank in Sunnvale. I think it was about $350, not including the corner overflow and black back. Added about another $100. They use a supplier in Fairfield called S&S I believe and it took about 2 weeks to be delivered. You probably can get one cheaper from what they have in the store unless you want it customized, which I'd recommend. A couple other stores I priced were more expensive by $50-100. Definately go with a built in overflow though and make sure it's big enought to give you room to put in the standpide and return.
As far as a stand I built my own. Didn't really want to shell out 3-500 bones for one. I didn't have any exerience but it isn't that hard to build a stand. You just have to trust yourself, kind of unerving filling up the tank for the first time.
I'd recommend deciding what you want then shopping around to find where you can get the best price. From what understand though, fish stores don't markup the price on tanks too much, they make their cash from live stock and equipment. They want to get you in the hobby first, then they milk you for everything you got.
Good luck
-Dan

marcom50
03/08/2002, 05:18 PM
Bigduke: Thanks for quoting me:)

stefan,
If you are looking for a standard size tank, the ones tru-vu or S&S cranks out, I would go to petclub in MountainView next to COSCO. They have the lowest mark up. If you are looking for a custom made tank, I would talk to the guys and The Fish Tank, Seascape, Dolphin, and Petclub to get quotes. I am sure they are all about the same, They all use two acrylic vendors S&S and TRU_VU. It would be interesting to see what their markup is. My tank is a custom 55 tall with 3/8 acrylic. Dolphin and Petclub, both quoted me the same price for the tank. I went with Dolphin because its closer to my place. This was unusual, because dolphin tends to mark up its stuff on the high end. I guess for special orders they don't make that much of a profit. If you are buying other reef hardware, I always buy on-line. You can save a-lot!!! I use www.reeffanatic.com, www.customaquatics.com, www.premiumaquatics.com.

PS. I work in downtown Los Altos, How Long have you lived there?
Marco

Stefan_B
03/08/2002, 06:07 PM
Marcom50,

Guess you do marketing huh? :)

I just moved to Los Altos 2 weeks ago from Mountain View. I got engaged last November and my fiance wanted to stop living in two places. So we moved to Los Altos. I live right off of Cuesta over by San Antonio. We got a neat apartment and now I have the bug to get a reef tank.

BTW don't know if you all have been to the aquarium at the Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate park, but it is [B]awesome/[B]. It is what got my Fiance interested in getting an aquarium. (or rather allowing me to get one)

Where do you live?

Stefan

marcom50
03/08/2002, 07:24 PM
Yeah, that's a great strategy. I did the same to my wife, but since the tank isn't up and running yet, she complains about the empty tank in the living room. I work on main street, on the same block as strabucks. I'll check out the aquariums at the academy of sciences. I haven't been there since the fourth grade. I live in Los Gatos, near and off North Santa Cruz by the main strip. I grew up in Almaden in San Jose. Went to Santa Clara U., total local boy. If you ever need any help on stuff let me know.

BTW: I have been looking for a good reef grade sand. It seems like its kind of hard to find in the bay area for a decent price. There is a new store In San Leandro, tropical paradise 510.614.1011, that will be carrying pure-aragonite sand. 40lb. bags for about twenty bucks. They said they are trying to get southdown as well. Most stores in the area carry aragomax for about 30.00 for a 30lb bag. I have tried to get Home depot to do an in store transfer for southdown, but they have all been reluctant to do it.

Marco:)