PDA

View Full Version : Horror Stocking levels

bubblehead
10/25/2005, 03:01 PM
I happen to be lucky enough to work in an office that has a large Marine tank in it. The tank is 90" x 24" x 18" around 180 gallons. The tank is managed by "Professional" company who maintains the tank, for cleanliness, stocking, and supply of food. (The fish are fed by the Security guard at 06:00 each morning who tips 2 cubes of frozen food into a cup and pours hot water on it then just throws the lot into the tank !!!!!!!!!!!!!):eek1:

When I was last in the office 5 days ago (I work shifts) it had just 2 Regal Tangs which looked like they had some sort of disease as they had lost most of thier colour. 1 Bird Nose Wrasse, 1 Lemon Peel, 4 Black & White Clowns, 1 Powder Blue Tang and one large 7" fish that I could not identify. It is a FOWLR tank and has a sand bottom with around 200lbs of Rock but does not appear to have any form of Skimmer. So I presumed the filtration is all provided by the rock. Dont know if any water changes are done either.

Imagine my horror when I came into the office for a night shift tonight to find that the company who looks after the tank has added 6 Yellow Tangs, another 4 Regal Tangs, a Medium size Queen Angel that is just starting to Morph, a 6 line Wrasse and two other fish that are about 5" long but I cannot identify yet, think they might be Anthias but look too large. All these fish added to what was already in the tank. :mad:

This is what happens when a company is just "Paid" to make the tank look pretty with no thought for the amount of fish this system can handle, I would have thought with that many fish going in all at once the Ammonia spike wont be far away.

A case of throw some more in when the others die, and (it seems) to hell with the welfare of the fish. never mind the cost in ecological or monetary terms. I am now considering asking the company who "Looks after" this tank to explain, as whilst I would love to have this many fish in my 100 Gallon tank at home I know from my experience this is just not pheasable.

jenghes
10/25/2005, 03:05 PM
All I can say is poor fish :(

bubblehead
10/25/2005, 03:10 PM
Totally agree.

A sad example of todays throw away society

Loralie
10/25/2005, 03:24 PM
It is really sad. What will be worse is if the company gets tired of paying the sizable cost of continually "restocking" this tank and writes the tank out of the budget altogather, or employees wishing to have a reeftank, models theirs after the one at work. No win situation

zahner
10/25/2005, 03:37 PM
you should talk to someone in the facilities dept or something

bubblehead
10/25/2005, 03:45 PM
Hi Zahner

Dont worry I intend to when I have finished my Night shifts

jent46bow
10/25/2005, 03:49 PM
that is animal abuse....I would talk to them and say give me some fish or I call PETA...rescue a few fish for the personal reef ;-)