PDA

View Full Version : Louisville,Ky area reefers

mc-cro
10/24/2005, 04:37 PM
Looking for people in the Louisville area-
I know you're out there! On the surface the louisville area does not seem to be very active, yet I keep running into people online that are from this area. We do have a local club (LMAS), but the meetings for whatever reasons are lacking in attendance. I would like to see alot more people, more trading, and more social events.

Lets get together, drink some beer, shoot the bull, or whatever.

Those of you in LMAS, I hope most of you would be interested in a chance to meet some local reefers, and try and get the social club jump started and get together alittle more often in a casual setting.

anyone interested in joining me for a beer??:beer:

how about Thursday or Friday night?? First rounds on me:D

BethanyM
10/24/2005, 04:48 PM
What area of Louisville you in? I am not big on beer, but my boyfriend kel5944(also on LMAS and RC) is known to down a few. :) We are members of LMAS but this has been a busy semester, and I have had a hard time getting Kelly to do his homework when he should. So that usually means very late Sunday all nighters. We went to the meeting last in July when we had all the guest speakers, maybe we met then. What is your LMAS handle, and your name?
devlchylde --- Beth
kel5944 --- Kelly

mc-cro
10/24/2005, 04:54 PM
Cant get on the LMAS website, I registered as Mc-cro,(real name is Micah) but something went screwy and I cant get on to post or even email Jason to fix it.
I wasnt at the July meeting, but went to the one in august? over at Sandy's.
I live over on the east side, brownsboro and goose creek, but I am willing to meet anywhere centrally located. maybe even downtown at Brownings or something?

BethanyM
10/24/2005, 05:10 PM
I still would have to talk to Kelly about it. I am sure Jason has an RC account and can get a hold of him that way. HEY i just found him. His screenname for RC is jasonm.
Do you ever come to GreenTree Pet Center? About half of their saltwater section is on hold for the new BassPro that will be opening soon. I hear from the employees at GreenTree that BassPro will have (6) 300g tanks. I know they will have a restaraunt, but if they have a bar next to one, well maybe I will take up beer. j/k. I don't know what BassPro stores carry, but I am sure I will be there often. I just hope they have a maintenance service. :rolleyes:

jenghes
10/24/2005, 05:11 PM
i am from Toledo, but travel to Louisville alot. Stay on Chamberlain Ln at Westport. Would love to meet you guys and possible work on some trades!

Jen

mc-cro
10/24/2005, 05:46 PM
Great! Chamberlain and Westport is just a couple miles from the house!

pbarrett
10/24/2005, 06:04 PM
I don't know if you guys and gals have been to East End Aquatics but it is a great store. Best looking fish I have ever seen. Give them a try.

ellisz
10/24/2005, 06:39 PM
I was at the meet at Sandy's. I work out in the Hurstbourne/Wesport area so I hit most of the LFS on my lunch. I live in IN so most evenings are out but could do lunch anytime. Weekends might work though.

I sell and trade frags locally so I am always game for some trading/buying or selling :) I have been shipping a lot of stuff since the local area is not doing much it seems. I did go to the swap at Aquatica and it was great.

Let me know if you ever want to schedule anything.

I am ellisz on LMAS.
Mike

Jeremy Blaze
10/24/2005, 07:49 PM
Sounds cool to me! We can have a 'meeting ' at the falls, or my place!

mc-cro
10/24/2005, 08:04 PM
do you serve beer and wings? I can eat some wings!!

I count 4 or 5 people so far. Anybody else?

ChadT
10/24/2005, 08:27 PM
I'm in! I'd really like to get some reefers over to my place and get some pointers for aquascaping my tank.

jenghes
10/24/2005, 08:46 PM
I head to the Dana plant on Westport.

What are the good places. It has been a while since I have been at Sandy's. Lots of Hydroids in the tanks at the time. I often stop at Aquatica while there. Where else is there?

mc-cro
10/24/2005, 09:03 PM
There is a fairly new shop overhere called East End Aquatics. Its nice. I would much rather trade from locals than buy if possible.
You gonna be around on Thursday or Friday?

ellisz
10/24/2005, 09:46 PM
I will be at work on Thurs. for part of the day and I am off on Friday. I would be game then.

What are you looking for?

jgagel
10/24/2005, 10:13 PM
Micah,

Great idea, thanks for e-mailin' me. Count me in if my work will count me in. I live in Georgetown, but am from Louisville so the drive isn't any big deal. This whole weekend is no good for me, but I would definitely be interested. I'm not a beer drinker but can down some Dew's. :rollface: I think it would be great to get together and do some small trades even some online purchases at some of the nice online retailers like Exotic Frags or Atlantis Aquatics. I am always trying to get the rare and exotic as well as trade or sell what I have. If we could get Paul (Sandy's) or Todd (Aquatica) to come they would probably let us ship stuff to their stores (I have got frags with both of them before ... I do the work and they get the delivery!). Keep me updated!! I will be bookmarking this thread.

Later!

jgagel
10/24/2005, 10:20 PM
If you go to my Gallery, the first page and the first two pictures on the second page are items I currently have available for trade or sell. Just an FYI.

jenghes
10/25/2005, 07:20 AM
No unfortunately. I was just there a week ago. I am not sure when my next trip is yet :( I'll let you know when I am coming next so we can hopefully go out for a beer!

Home away from home - Holiday Inn Express Chamberlain Ln.

Where is East End Aquatics? Is it East? Neighborhood pretty rough? I have been warned about going to the East side. I would rather trade, but I just usually go to the LFS when I am trying to blow time in the evening. Do they have a website? Hours?

Jen

jenghes
10/25/2005, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by jgagel
If you go to my Gallery, the first page and the first two pictures on the second page are items I currently have available for trade or sell. Just an FYI.

Ahhhh - those look familiar from fragswapper - did you make it to the Cincy swap? I was 50/50 on if I was gonna go. My kids ended up winning their first game in the soccer tournament, so I couldn't go. In the back of my mind, I was kinda hoping that they'd lose so I could go :mixed:

BethanyM
10/25/2005, 10:02 AM
Jen, I think someone told you about the 'West end". And I agree, you don't want to get lost in the West end!! :D The only thing rough about the East end is traffic. I am not sure on the hours but I know he doesn't open til noon on Saturdays. I looked at maps.google.com and your hotel is less than 5 minutes from East End Aquatics. Almost a straight shot there, too. The addy is 1330 Lyndon Lane, Louisville KY if you want to see.

freeqgOd
10/25/2005, 10:22 AM
I am interested in meeting some local reefers also. This weekend is not good for me but I do down some beers. I am in the St. Matthews area. I will have to check out East End Aquatics but would love to do some local trades.

Ky_Yaker
10/25/2005, 10:30 AM
I wish I lived a little bit closer to Lousiville. I'm in Lexington and there isn't a local club in my area(I haven't found one yet, if there is one) I never turn down an excuse to drink beer!! I've been wanting to go to Louiville and check out all the new nightlife, I havent been in a few years. It's only an hour and a half away, maybe I can make some time and get up there in the near future.

jenghes
10/25/2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by devlchylde
Jen, I think someone told you about the 'West end". And I agree, you don't want to get lost in the West end!! :D The only thing rough about the East end is traffic. I am not sure on the hours but I know he doesn't open til noon on Saturdays. I looked at maps.google.com and your hotel is less than 5 minutes from East End Aquatics. Almost a straight shot there, too. The addy is 1330 Lyndon Lane, Louisville KY if you want to see.

Ooops - my goof. You are right the warnings were about the West End. In Toledo it is just the opposite. "East Side" is Baaaaaad. LOL

I am never there weekends, only weekdays for work. I hope to visit soon to get to know you guys!

mc-cro
10/25/2005, 12:06 PM
Well this weekend may be out for a few people, possibly even myself included.
I have my SCUBA open water dive test Satruday morning. gonna be a little chilly, and I have been advised not to drink too much before going down. but I can still have one or two, if a few people want to show up this friday night.

What do you guys think would be a good place to meet up. Im thinking something like BBC in st mathews, or someplace where we can be off to the side, have a good time, get good food and service. typical restruants may not be a good place, they tend
be a little tough to get large tables and then if you hang out for a couple of hours they start giving you they "stare"

jgagel, when I get my stuff organized, we are definalty gonna have to do some trading. (my stuff is STILL in rubbermaids)

spalmer114-Lexington is a little bit of a drive if you drink too much, but its really not that bad. come on up! No worse than Georgetown

Beth, have you talked to Kelly yet? surely he's interested in drinking some beer and talking fish?

See, I knew I wasnt the only fishy smelling drunk guy in Louisville!

kel5944
10/25/2005, 04:29 PM
I'm in. There are also all the restaurants on the riverfront. And that's just down the road from Jeremy's work.

spidey07
10/25/2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by mc-cro
Great! Chamberlain and Westport is just a couple miles from the house!

Mine to. Maybe you saw the fireworks show on the 4th.

mc-cro
10/25/2005, 04:44 PM
what place did you have in mind? I dont know many restruants on that side of town. I met Jeremy over there once at a place called "Jimmy's" I think.

Jeremy Blaze
10/25/2005, 05:25 PM
Jimmys, Buckheads, Kingfish, Rockys, and Hooters are all right by my work all with views of the river.

I prefer Jimys, Kingfish, and of course Hotters. Kingfish has the best view, and some great seafood!

spidey07
10/25/2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Jeremy Blaze
Jimmys, Buckheads, Kingfish, Rockys, and Hooters are all right by my work all with views of the river.

I prefer Jimys, Kingfish, and of course Hotters. Kingfish has the best view, and some great seafood!

We'll just have to figure out how many people are going.

Heck, I'll come for a beer if it is a reef club or even a knitting club. Either way, there's beer involved.

mc-cro
10/25/2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by spidey07
Mine to. Maybe you saw the fireworks show on the 4th.

I was in Floriday for July 4th, didnt seem em.

mc-cro
10/25/2005, 08:23 PM
If there is gonna be more than 4-5 of us, and it looks like their will be, I think we may want something real casual. where we can stand, or sit, and mingle. I hate to say a "bar", but it should be that kinda relaxed area, where you can carry on different conversasions without being right on top of another.

BethanyM
10/25/2005, 11:43 PM
What is BBC? Kelly and I aren't too big on bars. I will agree to Hooters though. I am trying to quit smoking and Bar enviroments aren't helpful. I thought it would be cool if we took Jeremy up on his offer of going to his place. He has a beautiful house and a beautiful tank. We can take frags to his house and divy them up. After Hooters of course. I won't deny you boys your Hooters :) Honestly I am just dying to take a hammer to some of my zoo rocks. I find it utterly satisfying to break them up with my hammer! I would have no problem with bringing beer to Jeremy's .(if Jeremy is OK with that?) But majority rules, so lets see what everyone wants.

mc-cro
10/26/2005, 03:14 PM
BBC -Bluegrass Brewing Company they have good beer and great food. The even have a "Non Smoking" bar. I quit smoking myself back in June, and your right, being in a bar is a tough place to be if your trying to avoid smokers.

I need to get rid of a large sacrophyton (toadstool)and several smaller ones. and I have an extra large piece of Green Sinularia that I need to chop up. some yellow polyps, green button polyps, orang/green zoo's, 4 or 5 Green BTA's, possibly some
striped mushrooms. I have a bunch of stuff I need to clear out.
I most likely wont even mess with most of it for a few more weeks until I am ready to set up my temporary tank, then I'll really clean house.

Jeremy Blaze
10/26/2005, 06:13 PM
I'm open to anytihng. devlchylde, thanks for the kind words!

Reefologist
10/26/2005, 06:37 PM
Louisville area. I like it here.

spidey07
10/26/2005, 07:21 PM
BBC used to get pretty crowded on a Friday?

How about BW3 in springhurst? Its next to tumbleweed and has plenty of large tables?

Let's meet this friday. I'll be there around 7:00. You guys can start earlier. Say 6:00 or 6:30?

Sorry for hijacking. But when it comes to social gatherings, somebody has to set the date/time/place and that's what I do best. It's like lunch at the office - "we're going here and that's where we're going, wanna come?" Otherwise everybody sits around and ponders on where they are going.
;)

I'll be the guy yelling "I heard something about reefers!???"

Just a suggestion, I'm open for anything.

BethanyM
10/26/2005, 08:24 PM
You start yelling about reefer and we will have alot more people at our tables than we intended... ;) Kelly and I don't really know where BW3 is. If Jeremy knows or anyone from this side of the river knows that will be going, we can follow behind. I lived in Louisville a few years back, but Springhurst wasn't my area. We get lost there alot.

Reefologist
10/26/2005, 08:28 PM
I recomend the Dark Star porter @ BBC, good brew..

ellisz
10/26/2005, 08:33 PM
You know where Tinseltown, Target or Meijer is on Wesport road. BW3 is near there.

I can't come Friday unfortunately. I think I will beat the zoo that night :(

I am open for any lunch meetings over there though. I am in Indiana after work though. Don't normally go back.

jenghes
10/26/2005, 09:02 PM
Hmmm, won't be in L'ville that day. Will be in Ft. Wayne :(

BW3 is right by the hotel I stay in. I will let you guys know when I am in town for another impromptu meeting.

Jen

mc-cro
10/26/2005, 10:00 PM
I'll be there! my wife will probably come too.

mmm Darkstar..mmmm good beer (anyone else a warthog?)

6:30-7pm friday, first one there try and grab a good size table

its not hard to get to; from hoosierville, take 71N towards cincy,
get off on the gene snyder(265) south(?) second exit westport rd.
make a right, onto westport, then a right into springhurst center.
BW3's is up in there.
Jeremy might still have my cell #, give me a call if you get turned around.

mc-cro
10/26/2005, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ellisz
[B]I will be at work on Thurs. for part of the day and I am off on Friday. I would be game then.[QUOTE]

ahh come on, you plans couldnt have changed so drastically
to not drop by and meet a few new friends could they?;)

ellisz
10/26/2005, 10:14 PM
Wife wants to take the kids to the zoo. Was a surprise to me.

Halloween at the zoo is funner for them then it is for me. It was crazy crowded last year...

mc-cro
10/28/2005, 02:35 PM
Any else wanna show up?

freeqgOd
10/28/2005, 03:40 PM
I'll show up for the next one I have obligations tonight though. Dark star poarter does sound really good though. I like to buy that by the gallon.

spidey07
10/28/2005, 05:02 PM
grrrr, stuck at work. can't make it.

BethanyM
10/28/2005, 05:47 PM
kelly is still at work and it looks like it will be a late one.

mc-cro
10/28/2005, 08:23 PM
YABASTAADS,

I had to go and drink beer and eat wings by myself...

ellisz
10/29/2005, 09:53 AM
Dude, that sucks. I am available most days over their for lunch if anyone wants to try that. The zoo was cold and crowded if that is any consolation :) Cost me $40 too :(

mc-cro
11/01/2005, 07:31 PM
Anyone want to try again this weekend?

ellisz, lunch is kinda tuff for me, I travel alot during the day for work. however, friday evenings are usually open.

jgagel
11/01/2005, 09:14 PM
mc-cro - Yes, the pictures of the frags were posted for the Cinncy frag swap, but I didn't go. I got back from Japan the day before.

I will definitely trade with you when you setup again. I talked to Paul at Sandy's and he actually talked to me about you about a year ago and your idea of having an informal club with people who are gonna swap more than xenia and leathers (although there is nothing wrong with that :D)

I can't do this weekend, but still want to meet.

ellisz
11/01/2005, 10:48 PM
I would love to trade more locally. I hate shipping stuff out but it pays for the addiction :)

Fezzik
11/02/2005, 12:24 AM
Wow. Didnt know there was a Louisville crew. I've got a 40 gallon reef, a 20 gal and a 10 gall that's saltwater. Never heard of the East End Aquatics. Where is this at? I usually go to Green Tree in S. IN. They just now added a new section of salt water. They are also putting salt water tanks in the new restaurant that's goig to be in Bass Pro shop

jgagel
11/02/2005, 05:13 AM
ellisz - what type of stuff do you have, SPS or softies?

ellisz
11/02/2005, 07:01 AM
Fezzik: East End Aquatics is off Lyndon Lane. It is in the same shopping center as the old Buy Low and Gattiland.

jgagel: I have mostly softies but do have some lps and sps. About all I have left now is sinularia finger learthers, few small zoo frags(green skirts and orange skirts), anthelia and blue candy cane. I do have a small green staghorn acro and a white w/ blue tipped acro frag though.

I have a devils hand that needs fragging and a toadstool leather I will frag again in a few months.

mc-cro
11/09/2005, 05:53 AM
OK, **sigh** one more time- anybody want to get together this Friday evening(or late, late afternoon)?

Jeremy Blaze
11/09/2005, 08:18 AM
I am plumbing up a friends tank friday. night. Saturday evening would be good for me, if it works for anyoneelse.

Jeremy Blaze
11/09/2005, 08:19 AM
BTW, local guys, I got a nice sump for sale, look at my add in the for sale forums!

mc-cro
11/09/2005, 06:04 PM
Saturday works for me

Jeremy Blaze
11/09/2005, 08:24 PM
Cool, anyone else up? Whats a good time ?? Where??

ellisz
11/09/2005, 08:37 PM
Let me know the time and where and I will see if I can make it :)

Puffer Queen
11/09/2005, 10:09 PM
This Sunday is the LMAS monthly meeting - check out www.lmas.org for details.

Hope to see some of you at the meeting.

Kelly
LMAS President

mc-cro
11/11/2005, 11:13 AM
I might be able to make it Sunday, 4pm to the LMAS meeting. it may be alittle tight (have to drywall my bathroom). But I could definitely drink a few beers on Saturday night. Want to try BW3's again? say 7ish?

Jeremy Blaze
11/11/2005, 11:17 AM
Were is it?

Puffer Queen
11/11/2005, 11:37 AM
It is at Terry Shellhamer's house - www.lmas.org has details & directions.

Kelly