PDA

View Full Version : Rio PH....How to???

ac green
03/07/2002, 10:10 PM
Ok, this may be dumb question but this is what the board is for, right? Or maybe I just have not thought baout it long enough but anyways here we go....

I am currently starting to get some red slime algae on my san bed and want to add more water circulation behind my LR. I have some extras rios laying around and would like to add them, however the way the rios are setup is to just point directly straigth when mounted with the suction cups. I want the water to be shot at left to right raterh then straight like designed.

Is there a way to mount the rio so it will shoot horizontally?
Or should I just invest in a 302 or the like.

Thanks,
AC

cacplkings
03/07/2002, 10:15 PM
AC,

Ditch the Rio. Asking for some poss troubles in the future. Get you a Maxi-Jet or Hagen.

Chris

ac green
03/07/2002, 10:40 PM
OK, was hoping to save some cash, but guess I will get a maxi or some more hagens. Thanks for the advice!!

Canadian Man
03/08/2002, 12:42 AM
on my rio 2100 i take 1/2 " pvc drill 5 1/4" holes and put an endcap on. i had to do a little sanding to the output of the rio to be able to push the pvc on. mount it on the back wall and current shoots across the tank. i have 1 on each side and it creates great turbulent current.
Cheers

DgenR8
03/08/2002, 11:42 AM
I have no personal experience with RIO powerheads, I have read too many horror stories about them, so I never bought one.
From what I have read, the price of other power heads is cheap insurance.
I use Hagen, they are adjustable and can push water in most any direction you want, no matter how you mount them.
While we're talking about mounting, the suction cups won't hold forever. They won't hold for long in fact and many people mount them permanantly to a piece of acrylic that can be hung over the top of the tank or mounted with screws to the inside of your canopy.

griss
03/08/2002, 04:44 PM
I have used 5 Rios over the years. Both 2500s burned out on me recently, but fortunately did not hurt the tank. I have never had a problem with the 2 1700s or the 3100. These will be replaced soon based upon all the negative feedback I have read on them.

Griss

mojo215
03/09/2002, 08:34 AM
I have 7 rios running my tank. Now I'm nervous. None of them have given me any problems except for the minis I have running for circulation. The suctions cups drive me crazy. But the pumps are fine and all have flow adjuster you can put on.,

If rios are so untrustworthy what would you all recommend as replacements, I really do not like Hagen products.

MOJO

adidaswood
03/09/2002, 10:44 AM
i have had rio's fall (suction failure) causing sand to blow everywhere, sieze and not start when unplugged and re plugged in, and catch on fire (luckily i was standing right there when if FRIED)
there are not worth their cheap price :hammer:

Try to build your self a closed loop for circulation or use Maxi-jets