PDA

View Full Version : Size of sand grains for DSB

forbze16
03/07/2002, 07:29 PM
I have a question about my DSB. The first 3 inches are SD sand. The top inch is the Aragonite packaged LS ( the one that has the bacteria in it already). The grains are from 0.5 to 1.0 mm.

Is that bad for the DSB? Are the grains too large? If they are, is there a safe way to remove it with out crashing the system.

Just when you think you have a clue, you get humbled by this hobby, and then only more addicted.

Dave :rolleyes:

dattack
03/07/2002, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. At least you have mostly southdown sand which is the mixture of right size sand for the DSB. Since it is a new tank? , I think you should try to mix the southdown with the other sand you have.
I believe the particle size should be at the .2 mm size to be effective. However, if it's already in the tank, then I would just mix it up.

Here is the composition of southdown.
http://www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen23.html

If it's not already in the tank yet, try to get the right size sand particle with the majority being less than .2mm.

griss
03/08/2002, 01:23 PM
I agree with dattack on this. You should be fine with that sand. You can mix it up but the larger particles will, over time, end up on top again. That is unless your sandbed fauna keeps it well stirred.

Griss

blitzpb
03/08/2002, 02:08 PM
Is a DSB something that should be started even if I plan to start my tank as FOWLR with a softies?

Nick

Sorry for the thread hijack

dattack
03/08/2002, 07:28 PM
It's something to think about in the long run when you add corals other than mushrooms. It helps to bring now nitrates/nitrites.