PDA

View Full Version : coral banded shrimp clean parisites same as regular cleaner shrimp??

DNO
03/07/2002, 03:53 PM
Does a coral banded shrimp clean off parasites on fish the same as a regular cleaner shrimp?

Leopardshark
03/07/2002, 04:03 PM
i don´t think so, they have different claws and cb´s doesn´t seem to give a damn about my fishes, my cleaner is always looking for them

Laura D
03/07/2002, 04:06 PM
They do in the wild, but I have never heard of them cleaning in captivity.

RooFish
03/07/2002, 09:13 PM
In the wild yes, but very rarely in tanks.

Rock Anemone
03/07/2002, 11:30 PM
My coral banded has cleaned my tang many times.... The tang comes over to the rocks tilts it's head and the coral banded shrimp will start cleaning him.... I was quit shocked myself...:strange:

DNO
03/08/2002, 01:10 PM
OK, can I have a cb and a cleaner in the same tank. I have a 120 gallon FOWLR, spiney box puffer and maroon clown.

DgenR8
03/08/2002, 01:25 PM
DNO,
Every case is specific, but I see no problem.
Don't attempt 2 Coral Banded in your tank as I have read that if you don't get a male and a female, they will hunt each other down and fight to the death.
I have a CB with a few cleaners, a Peppermint, and 2 Camelbacks in my 125. The shrimp seem to leave each other alone, but stay with their own. (cleaners all live together, and the 2 Camelbacks stay together)

slimytadpole
03/08/2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by DNO
OK, can I have a cb and a cleaner in the same tank. I have a 120 gallon FOWLR, spiney box puffer and maroon clown.

If I'm not mistaken, cleanershrimp don't mix well with puffers. Something about the skin on the puffers not being designed to get picked at. But that may only be cowfish. Could someone set me straight?

Edit: I can't find any reference to this using the search page.