PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I'm ready

Paul Stevenson
03/07/2002, 02:34 PM
Well' I took my LPS advise and purchased a very large tank. I was going to go with a 30, but he said that I couldn't get some bigger fish like tangs and angels if I did that, so I upgrade to a 75. I didn't get a sump because I'm not sure how they work, but my LPS said that it would probably just flood my living room anyway, and I didn't want that. Anyway, I have it all set up and running for about 7 weeks now. I took a sample to the store, and he said everything looks good. my set up has a 200W Ebo Jagger heater, a Aquaclear 300 filter, 2 Aquacler 402 powere heads, and 2 48" VHO tubes for lighting. I have 40 lbs of live rock from my LPS, and crushed coral on the bottom. This is the setup that he recomend, and he gave me a good deal on it I think. So now it's time to add corals and fish, and I'm wondering what you guys think I should start with. I'd like to get a clam soon also. They have some cool ones at the LPS. Thanks

PS

chewie
03/07/2002, 02:42 PM
:D come on dude!!!! someone already tried this earlier!!

G-money
03/07/2002, 02:52 PM
Paul,

At the risk of appearing naive, I will assume your post is serious. I will also assume LPS=LFS.

If I were you, I would start with some soft corals. Any mushrooms, zooanthids, colt coral, brown leathers....pretty much any other brown soft coral will be good to start. Brown color usually denotes a high amount of zooxanthellae present and an ability to survive given lower lighting. These animals will do best, as your lighting would be considered quite low - much too low for a clam IMO, so I would scrap that idea. I also see that you don't mention you have a skimmer, in which case I would be very gradual with additions to the tank. No skimmer or other nutrient export means a lower bio-load capacity.

As for fish, no skimmer will mean maybe a tang and one or two other small fish. Nutrient export is the key to maintaining any tank in the long term. Other than water changes (assuming you will be doing them), you appear to have no nutrient export. This is a dangerous situation. I would suggest you do a bit of reading before buying animals...search these forums. Again, assuming you are serious. However, I think you may just be young, unemployed, and bored :D.

Paul Stevenson
03/07/2002, 02:53 PM
Thank you for the great input Chewie. That's just the kind of input i was looking for.

Would htose of you with some helpfull advice pleas reply. thank You

Paul Stevenson
03/07/2002, 02:57 PM
Thank you Graham, I forgot to mention that I have a Prizm skimmer. it put out a lot of gunk when I cured the live rock but not much now.

Yes I meant LFS. sorry. I get confused with all the acronims around here. ANyways my LFS has some of those kinds of corals so I think I will go tonight and get one. If you had to shoose just one, whcih would it be for your first one.

Paul Stevenson
03/07/2002, 03:00 PM
Oh yeah, and I'm not young (24), unemployed, but I am bored LOL:D Thanks for the help so far

Paul Stevenson
03/07/2002, 03:01 PM
I read that last post again, and what I meant was that I'm not young and I'm not unemployed. ANyways.

Steve Richardson
03/07/2002, 03:15 PM
I was going to respond with a wealth of information... but you see... I am partially a bleeding heart liberal - so perhaps I shouldnt. ;)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=66133

sorry.. I couldnt resist. :D

Paul Stevenson
03/07/2002, 03:24 PM
Steve, interesting that you bring that thread up. I posted it on a Friday, left town for the weekend, and come home to find it closed so I never got the chence to respond. None the less, no one did answer my question about the irony of the statement, they just flamed away. But that's for another forumn. I would appreciate your wisdom in this forum. Thank you.

G-money
03/07/2002, 03:41 PM
Paul,

OK, now that we're straight ;)...

I would suggest a rock of some type of mushrooms - preferably the Discosoma (smooth, not bumpy or hairy) type. Try to get them from a tank that has comparable lighting to yours so that photo-acclimation is easier. Mushrooms are pretty forgiving and are a good inital foray into the coral realm. They prefer low current - high current will hinder normal expansion. They will likely grow and multiply easily and give you a bit of confidence. Otherwise, a colt coral or brown toadstool leather may be a good second choice.

You may also want to think about adding some Astrea / Turbo snails as scavengers and maybe a couple hermits (some will take exception to hermits) to clean up uneaten food and detritus. This is often the best way to build a successful reef; from the scavengers - up. Keep in mind you should add a little food to the tank, even if it only contains scavengers. Being that you don't seem to be going for a DSB-based system, most any scavenger will be acceptable. Feel free to ask about any particular scavengers.

chewie
03/07/2002, 04:27 PM
Hose off a little Paul. http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=69287 I just thought it was another one of these and it was early. didn't mean to P@## you off. Graham, you nailed it. I would agree.
Paul, it also doesn't help when you have this as your sig. Please do not read this post.

Paul Stevenson
03/07/2002, 04:31 PM
Chewie I didn't see that one before but it is kind of funny. Anyway, no problem.

Thanks Grahma, I will go to the store tonite and pick up some smooth mushrooms. They have lots of diferent colors. They also have snbails and hermits so I'll get some of both. How many should I put in a 75? I have been looking around at some other forums here, and it seems like I could have set things up better. I'm going to add more live rock (I have about 40 lbs), but are there other suggestions to improve my set up. I don't mind spending money. I think I can add 2 more lights to my ballast. I have the ice cap 460 or something like that. I think that's one thing I will do. Thanks for the help

Paul Stevenson
03/07/2002, 04:32 PM
Graham, not Grahma LOL :)

Paul Stevenson
09/06/2002, 03:08 PM
Hey guys, it's been a wile since I got on here, but I wanted to let you know that thing are going great with the tank. I have had a few problems. I tried some SPS corals. I got 4 nice big colonies , but they all died within a cople of weeks. They were so cool. One was bright blue and two were purple. I don't now why they died. Anyway I got a new one yesterday so it will hopefully live. It is puirple with gren polps. i have a bunch of mushrooms, and soft corals, and I'm gonna get a clam next week:D I cna't wait. Thanks for all the help, and I will take some pics soon and pos them her.

Passion4Fish
09/06/2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Paul Stevenson
. I tried some SPS corals. I got 4 nice big colonies , but they all died within a cople of weeks. They were so cool. One was bright blue and two were purple. I don't now why they died. Anyway I got a new one yesterday so it will hopefully live. It is puirple with gren polps.

i have a bunch of mushrooms, and soft corals, and I'm gonna get a clam next week:D I cna't wait.

I would advise AGAINST getting that clam. Clams REQUIRE a well established and tank and pristine water conditions. They also, prefer MH lighting. They seem to loose their color with just VHO My advice to you is to do some research, realize what your getting yourself into. Your local library, bookstore, or even here at reef central will get you all the information you need to be SUCCESSFUL at keeping a reef tank. . I'm not trying to flame or anything, I'm just hoping to make you realize what your doing. I have never, and never will, trust what ANY LFS has to say, for the simple fact that they are a LFS for one reason, TO MAKE MONEY. That's it. They don't care if everything you put into your tank dies, its actually better for them, because then you keep coming back and spending more money, therefore they make more money.

Research, learn, grow, and keep a successful tank.

PS... I'd think of changing your little graphic on your sig line, quite immature, shows exactly where your head is.

Paul Stevenson
09/24/2002, 10:26 AM
Hmm change. Let's see, how's this http://www.atypically.net/smilies/flipthebird.gif

:D

drew22to375
09/24/2002, 10:26 PM
OK I will add my 2 cents here as well. If you your SPS dies within a couple of weeks what makes you think the clam won't do the same. Personaly I would address why the SPS died before going on to something else. I know we all want to go out and fully stock the tank with all of that beautiful Coral, Clams, aneneme, etc. but that isn't realistic. I think you need to take a breathe and slow down and do a little research otherwise you are asking for a disaster. at the very least do some searches on this forum on SPS and clams. I really think your lighting is way too low for clams anyway... Just my .02 good luck...

J-Bomber
09/25/2002, 11:53 AM
So, Paul Stevenson, of Stevensonia, Pauland,

Are you really a lion tamer by trade? Wow! That must be incredible! And watching paint dry seems like a perfect hobby for you.

You have succeeded in luring in a few well-meaning, experienced reefers, anxious to give you their sincerest advice that you had no intention of heeding.

I just can't believe that anyone would take your posts seriously.

Wake up, people! (What if he did actually kill off a few large SPS's and is about to do the same to some clams? Is this someone that you want to encourage to get deeper into the hobby?)

j-bomber