PDA

View Full Version : Temperature???

sherwood
03/07/2002, 12:21 PM
I have just set up a new 100 gallon and my temp seems to be settling around 82 deg. I have 3 books on reef tanks and they all recommend different temps. One says 75, the other 78 and the other 82. They seem to make opposite claims about temperature and its effects on corals. I really don't want to buy a chiller. How have others with consistently warm tanks done?

marineaddict
03/07/2002, 12:36 PM
Everyone has a different theory on temp. I think most people here try to keep their temp between 75- 82. I feel the most important thing with temperature is to try and keep it constant. My temp ranges from 77 - 79 everyday. From reading other posts a couple degree change everyday is not a problem.

gas4544
03/07/2002, 12:40 PM
Check out these articles:
http://www.wyx.com/iheo/tank/temperature-salinity.htm

The trend recently has been toward higher temperatures than in the past. 75 degrees is cool and 78 is moderate. Many of us are running our reefs in the 80-82 degree range.

Mako
03/07/2002, 12:41 PM
Check out this excellent article (http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1997/nov/features/1/default.asp) by RC's own Dr. Ron for some eye opening information in this regard.

HTH

G-money
03/07/2002, 12:43 PM
The bottom line is, as long as you stay with in the range of tolerance (let's say 72-86 as a general tolerance guide) and don't allow the temperature to change too rapidly (more than 3-4 degrees over the course of a day), temperature will not negatively affect your corals in most cases. Therefore, it is hard to say there is one right answer. My tank has reached temps that have made corals in others' tanks bleach in a big way. My temp also fluctuates up to 6 degrees daily and I have never lost a coral due to bleaching. I find that keeping coral at higher temps normally may make them more tolerant of even higher temps. In the summer, my tanks have hit 89F with only a minor bleaching event occurring in two frags of Acropora. I would not recommend allowing your tank's temp to get this high, though....it's too unpredictable. Err on the side of caution. My mean temp is about 82-84 F. Realize, I only speak one person's experience

In all, where the coral came from will determine largely the range of temperature it will tolerate - as it will be populated with zooxanthellae tolerant of the temp range found in that region. Most live collection is in the Indo-Pacific where water temps RARELY fall below 78-80 degrees. Many places, the temp approaches the mid-upper 80s regularly. Increased temperature will increase metabolism, but that is a bit of another topic altogether...

HTH!