PDA

View Full Version : Aga Rr & Dsb?

ReefDoggie
03/07/2002, 11:34 AM
I'm planning to purchase a 120-gallon All-Glass Reef-Ready tank.

I emailed AG and they responded that the lower inlet slots are 4" up from the bottom of tank.

Is 4 inches of sand enough; I wanted to use 6 inches?

Has anyone modified their tank to elongate the lower slots?

Thanks for your help

Vpham97
03/07/2002, 12:51 PM
If you're doing a DSB on a AGA, you might want to think about plugging up the lower slot. Use something that you can go back and peel out later on if you change your mind.

SDBDRZ
03/07/2002, 01:05 PM
I have an AGA 120RR and I just covered the bottom slots with the sand. I used a dremmel tool to enlarge the top slots to compesate. I am in the process of filling the tank so I do not know exactly how well it will work first hand but I have talked to others who did basically the same thing I have done. From the desing I do not see why simply covering the slots on the bottom will create any major problems other than the "Twin-Flo" overflows will not work as designed.

ReefDoggie
03/07/2002, 02:11 PM
Thanks Scott,
Do you think I could use a dremmel tool to increase the length of the bottom slots upward?

tdwyatt
03/07/2002, 02:29 PM
I took an 8" plascic flowerpot and cut the shape of the overflow into it and siliconed it onto the bottom, keeps the sand out without any mods to the tank, only problem is that occasionally you'll need to clean u=out a few items every now and then, but the goby seems to think of it as home...

DukeDog
03/07/2002, 02:34 PM
If you put the sand in and cover the bottom slots you wont have a problem. That's what I did on my 125 AGA and at first I got a little bit of sand in the overflow compartment but that was it. It works fine for me:)
Jeff