PDA

View Full Version : Caleurpa going sexual

Mud Shrimp Moe
10/20/2005, 02:22 PM
So I get home from work yesterday and my 10 gal nano looks awfully milky white. As the tank has caleurpa in it (was on some live rock given to me that I "quarantined" in this tank four mos ago and then never took back out).

I quickly did a 5 gal water change, which when you factor in the live rock and sand bed, was probably at least 80% of the water. Cleaned the filter, harvested whatever caleurpa I could grab and everything looked fine. All inverts and my lone fish (blue damsel) were annoyed but fine.

My question is how dangerous was this to begin with and why? Does it happen quickly and then stop or does it happen over several days? FWIW, this morning the tank looked clear and healthy. How long before another incident is likely?

Sugar Magnolia
10/20/2005, 02:25 PM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/nftt/index.php A bit late, but next time you'll be able to spot the warning signs.

Mud Shrimp Moe
10/20/2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks. Doesn't quite touch the "how dangerous is it, really?" question though.

What's the real harm of this stuff? Does it change the pH or what?

BloBBeBo
10/20/2005, 04:12 PM
I have a lot of caulerpa in my tank aswell. I've been afraid of it going sexual. SHould I remove it? It's so pretty and adds a lot to my tank since there's not many corals in it yet. I'm close to taking it out after what I'm reading :(

Mud Shrimp Moe
10/20/2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by BloBBeBo
I have a lot of caulerpa in my tank aswell. I've been afraid of it going sexual. SHould I remove it? It's so pretty and adds a lot to my tank since there's not many corals in it yet. I'm close to taking it out after what I'm reading :(

If you remove it, the odds are overwhelming it will grow back. I think it's impossible to get it all anyway.

So, yeah, I think frequent harvesting is a good idea.

BloBBeBo
10/20/2005, 04:20 PM
Oh geez, I just took out the tiny rock (luckily it was tiny) that had the bulk of the caulerpa on it. There was TONS of gametes on it underneath where I couldn't see!!!!! :| THANK GOD I LOOKED AT IT! I put it in a bucket of cold fresh water, I don't care what else was on that rock as long as I kill the damned plant :|

WaterKeeper
10/20/2005, 04:29 PM
Got a cannister filter with a polishing cartridge Joe? Then run it and clear out the algae spores (or is it gametes?). The main problem with any unusual reproductive event is usually low oxygen levels caused by the new population dying off. With algae it is much less of a problem than bacteria as they are photosynthetic. However, wholesale death of the algae can cause both oxygen level problems and possible nutrient increase that cause the process to repeat in a never ending spiral. If you can get the baby algae out and send them to some children's home. ;)

Mud Shrimp Moe
10/20/2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
The main problem with any unusual reproductive event is usually low oxygen levels caused by the new population dying off.

Sounds fairly non-catostrophic provided you take some reasonable action to filter and water change. IOW, I wouldn't imagine the "new population" produces a huge decaying mass immediately, do it?

WaterKeeper
10/20/2005, 04:38 PM
Not usually, bacteria bloom tend to eat the tank out of house and home and, when the larder is bare, dieoff and cause some problems. Not so with algae as they can make their own food. However, they can consume all the phosphate and nitrogen products in the tank and produce a crash due to nutrient limitations.

Amphiprion
10/20/2005, 06:01 PM
From what I know, the actual process of "going sexual" is actually called sporulation. Now as for what is actually released is a toss up. If they are actually spores, then those cells will produce gametes. If they are gametes already, then the process goes on directly. I really cant remember which occurs. I do know this, though: each of those spores/gametes use oxygen for movement and metabolism, therefore a multitude of them will deplete oxygen levels.

Any phycologists on RC?