PDA

View Full Version : What to use to filter the drain pipe into sump?

CIMulation
10/19/2005, 01:24 PM
My sump is getting dirty from misc. particles from my main tank. Do you guys use anything to catch all the particles that drain from your main tank into your sump?

6Speed
10/19/2005, 01:29 PM
I have seen people use a filter sock, but I've been told that you have to clean it out fairly often to be sure you don't have any problems with nitrates...

CIMulation
10/19/2005, 01:39 PM
A filter sock as in the cotton mesh used for mechanical filters or just a sock? lol

Agu
10/19/2005, 03:09 PM
There are actual filter socks designed for aquariums. They have very fine mesh and will clean your water. They also get dirty really fast and need to be cleaned a couple of times a week.

You could just buy polyester batting at a craft store and throw it away when it gets dirty.

TekCat
10/19/2005, 04:11 PM
Will the carbon filter help? or it's a bad idea?

Agu
10/19/2005, 04:38 PM
The carbon isn't a good idea, the carbon will become a biological filter quickly. In addition depending on the water flow it could pulverise and put more crud in your sump.

The polyester batting is cheap and effective.

6Speed
10/19/2005, 05:46 PM
Just go to walmart and get you some knee high socks...you know, the ones with the red and blue stripes at the top. ;)

:p

hopper
10/19/2005, 08:53 PM
I just switched over to a durso standpipe in my overflow. (It works great.) My tank is a Oceanic and the intake in the overflow was made of a perforated plastic tube. I am going to take this tube, since I am no longer using it for the intake and attach it to the intake (elbow) of the standpipe. I then am going to get a piece of foam filter that goes around this and I will have filtration in the sump also. Saw a pic of this on the durostandpipe webpage and they were using it to keep the intake from being clogged by snails, etc. http://www.dursostandpipes.com Click under intake strainers and then perforated pipe. Shows a pic without the foam filter. Oceanic makes this filter, I just need to find out where to get it.