PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane preparedness for Reefers

Agu
10/19/2005, 11:31 AM
Good luck to all............

I'd highly recommend you start making topoff water now. If you're ending up using evaporative cooling on your tanks you'll use a lot of water.

Buy a bubbler or three, I have this on all my tanks,

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/B11/Class/Bird+Supplies+Feeders+Waterers/T1/F02+0291+0045/Itemdy00.aspx

It'll run a couple of days on two D cell batteries.

Check in and let us know if we can help. If your internet is down call someone who can post that you need help.

myakkareef
10/19/2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the Info Agu...
Also a few things I learned last year without power for 9 days...

Most of these are for folks who have generators. If you do not have a generator then the bubblers like Agu mentioned is you next best thing...Even stirring the tank by hand during short outages will help...

Do not worry about lighting for a few days, tank was no worse if not almost better with just daylight from windows. Plus the lights create heat to battle...

Open your hoods and use a desk top fan to blow across tank.

Circulation pump is all you will need, it will add the oxygen..Closed loops will not be needed.

Feed very little. You will not need to run skimmer during outage..

Freeze some water bottle now, for use as cooling bottles later (thanks AGU)...

As Agu mentioned my biggest problem was top-off, make that water now. Unfortionetly after 9 days I did not have enough and got help from folks with water...

I have a chiller now, not sure how the generator will handle it...Probally will not use it unless critical heat...My generator killed a refrigerator last year...They are not very easy on compressors...

I am sure others have some pointers..Good luck everyone and hope to see you all Sunday with no bad reports...