PDA

View Full Version : water flow

jmwkmw
03/06/2002, 04:45 PM
I have a 125 (72 inch long) with one main return from my sump and three power heads in the tank. My question is what is the best way to put the power heads in for the best curculation. I do not have any wave device.TIA!

oh yea the tank was not rr so i have 2 overflows one in each rear corner.

RW
03/06/2002, 07:00 PM
What size power heads? You want roughly 10x the gallons of the water volume to start. You want it to move in such a way that there are no real dead spots.

Steve Richardson
03/06/2002, 08:42 PM
3 powerheads on a 125? Yeah that doesnt sound like much but lets see...

... you will want to have turbulence rather than a stright unidirectional blast across the rockwork. That means intersecting the streams or deflecting them. However that will reduce overall flow which you dont want.

I might try and put 2 in the bottom 2 sides... facing towards the front of the tank... perhaps pointing a little towards the middle of the tank if possible. Those 2 streams should travel around the front of the tank and collide in the middle creating a little turbulence. Hopefully you can hide them somewhat in the rockwork without interrupting the flow.

In fact.. perhaps the third one could go in the lower middle of the back pointing towards the front as well.

Im assuming your return is somewhere near the top.. jetting sideways?

If you dont think you have enough flow.. you can add 2 more in the bottom back corners facing each other.. which will keep the back of the tank from getting dead.

babling,

jmwkmw
03/07/2002, 08:23 AM
total gph (3 ph's + little giant 1200 -head loss) is around 1600 gph