PDA

View Full Version : t5----pc

120reeferman
10/18/2005, 09:38 AM
what the heck is the big difference between the two????, i dont want sps in my tank just the softys hammers ect, i dont want mh due to the heat and cost, so with that said i want to either use t5 or pc lighting for my 125 all glass, elaborate for me please. tyia

BethanyM
10/18/2005, 09:48 AM
I am using PC on my 10 and t5 on my 29. The PCs give a horrible washed out appearance to even the prettiest of my corals. On my 29 the t5s make everything gorgeous. I frequently get burned by my PCs and although it is nothing like a MH burn it still hurts. I can handle my t5s and their fixture while in use. I vote t5 for your tank. I think you will be happy with that choice.

120reeferman
10/18/2005, 09:57 AM
thats one for t5, and the thing is, iv found diy retros onthe t5s cheap, 60" 8x i think 90 for 400 bux, ok, lets hear more opinions

00nothing
10/18/2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by 120reeferman
what the heck is the big difference between the two????, i dont want sps in my tank just the softys hammers ect, i dont want mh due to the heat and cost, so with that said i want to either use t5 or pc lighting for my 125 all glass, elaborate for me please. tyia

the simple answer is this with t5 the light penetrates further into the waterand on a tank like a 125 that is fairly important withthe pc u would find that things lower in the tank may be light strved unless u use an excessive amount of it

The Grim Reefer
10/18/2005, 11:41 AM
The 60" T5's are spendy. You need to make sure you get either Tek reflectors or the CD units from Aqualuxlighting.com. Stick with ATI or D&D lamps except for the GE daylight. If your tank is 72x18 you can only fit and only need 6 lamps. You will actually have a hard time squeezing in six of the aqualux reflectors but you could use 4 of those and 2 Tek reflectors. Getting good reflectors is the first step in putting together a good T5 system. The reflectors will about double the output of the lamps, they never wear out or fail. Spend the $$$ upfront on them, you wont regret it.