PDA

View Full Version : need tips on converting a FO to a reef

wavetwisters
03/06/2002, 11:47 AM
I'm buying a 110g FO tank with one big peice of live rock with a couple button polyps on it. My ? is that it has crushed coral instead of sand I know I have to change that out how would I go about doing that. Also I know I have to upgrade my lights but I have that under control. I also need to add more liverock how exactly would I go about doing that without the tank recycling? Thanks for any info, I'm really excited to finally be getting my Tank!

tyoberg
03/06/2002, 12:00 PM
First thing--find out if the tank has ever been treated with copper. If so, you may be in for a rough time using it for a reef tank--copper is the gift that keeps on giving. Whatever the previous owners answer, I would bring a copper kit with you and test it there on the spot. Tanks that have been treated in the past will maintain copper levels that are toxic to inverts for a long long long time, and if you choose to start a reef tank with it, you're taking a path seldom tread (and for good reason). If you're going to put a lot of money into a reef tank, it's best to make sure that the hardest thing to replace (the tank itself) is good.

Some tips:
1. If/when you move the tank, get rid of the crushed coral substrate and establish a 4-6" deep sand bed (DSB). Here's a great sandbed FAQ (http://www.reefkeepers.org/faq/cache/33.html) that cover's the benefits and how's-it-works of the sandbed. It is the latest and greatest in reef filtration, very easy, low maintainence and cool to look at. It works wonders for keeping nitrates low if not zero.

2. Live rock will be a bit tricky. If you add a lot at once (more than say 20% of the total amount), there's a good chance that you will see a cycle. You should be able to work a deal out with the LFS; tell them you're going to buy x many pounds total, but you need it y pounds at a time (that way you may be able to get it cheaper than if you buy 10-20 lb amounts). Also, make sure that the live rock is really truly cured--find out how long they have had it. I think 4-6 weeks is cured, but I'm not exactly sure on the "correct" number.

Ty

wavetwisters
03/06/2002, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the tip about the copper I didn't even think about that. I'll be sure to buy a copper test kit before I go. You might have saved me from a very long night mare. Although if he did use copper would he have button polyps growing? Any way I'll take your advice, anything else anyone on can add