PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Recomendations for 180

KBCobra
03/06/2002, 11:36 AM
We are looking at a large airlift skimmer with 2 stones and a mag3 or mag 5 pump. Total cost being right around $200 - skimmer, water pump,and LARGE air pump. Is there any reason to go to something like a kent nautilis TE or a euroreef gs3?

Also the lighting has been ordered -
3 x Magnetic 400w MH ballasts and boxes
3 x Mogul Sockets and wire
3 x 20000K radium 400w bulbs
3x 24inch spyder reflectors with room for 2 PC's or VHO on either side of the halide
4 x 12v Computer fans, old computer 12V/5V power supply

Total cost around $550 for light not including the cost of building the hood. Any thought on this? I really like the way Randy and Keith M's tanks here in buffalo look with only 20000K bulbs . Actinic VHO's probably wont be needed correct ? Is this enough light to do SPS ?

For a pump we are either looking at either -

Genx/Mak-4 Mag Pump Pressure Rated 1190gph @4ft head
or
Iwaki MD 55RLT Pressure rated 1080gph @ 4ft head

Now there is 2 returns both with 3/4 inch seaswirls and a 8-9 foot head from basement to returns. Which is best, should we be looking at other pumps ? Are the seaswirls big enough and are they a good idea ? Will other intank circulation be needed ? If so how many and what size powerheads.

2 - 1in ID pipes with ball valves from each of the overflows are T'ign into a 2 inch down pipe and a single 1.5inch return split into to 3/4id with ball valves to each of the seaswirls.

The sump is being handled by 100 Gallon short rubbermaid horse trough. with a refugium thats up on blocks inside it probably aroung 50gallons. The refugium is being lit by a 400w 6500k Iwasaki. Top off handled through a float valve which is connected to a 40 Gallon trash can with another powerhead inside for auto top off.

Calc reactor, kalawasser dosers, top off systems, Skimmer auto emptying cup system, etc still in the works. Any ideas on building this stuff ?

To this point we have braced the floor, setup the RO system, and put in 2 30amp GFI outlets in the basement and 1 30amp GFI behind where the tank will be residing. The tank and stand are being picked up this thursday from Niagara Aquarium on Military Drive in Buffalo. The tank was $525 and stand was $269 - Best price I could find anywhere. We will be filling it with a 4.5-5inch DSB of Southdown.

this is all being setup over the next few weeks so your input is appreciated.

ReeferMac
03/06/2002, 12:13 PM
About the only thing I can contribute at this point is the puddle of drool underneath my computer right now :eek2:

I'd stay away from the air driven skimmers. Venturi's outperform them every time, and the cost factor mitigates itself after a few years of buying new airstones.

The EAP skimmers really do a bang up job. I started building a DIY one, but ran into budget problems (whaddya mean I can't spend $150 on a pump this month? Why can't the Mortgage wait? Oh right, they take the house away if you don't...) It was going to be a Beckett style skimmer, and would actually be big enough for your tank ;-). Take a look around the 'net for some info on Expanded Air Process Skimmers, I think you'll end up agreeing with me. The few that I've seen in operation literally look like Milk, instead of water, they're so foamy. The Bubbles produced by a venturi are also much smaller than airstone bubbles, and you can suck a tremendous amount of air in with a Beckett (determined by water velocity through the Beckett Chamber).

- Mac

drtango
03/06/2002, 03:10 PM
Dunno if this is your first basement sump--only way to go. My sump is only 20 gallons with a separate 10 gallon fuge--I used a heavy duty shelf system braced by the floor bracing to pick the whole thing up to about eye level in the basement. Less head to push, smaller pump, works well. I get plenty of circulation with a mag 18 (92 gallon corner tank)

With your huge sump, maybe elevating it on cinderblocks or something might be a consideration--even 4-5 feet goes a long way in pump size\amp draw\heat etc.

JT (Clarence NY)

Guy
03/06/2002, 03:43 PM
For the amount of head you're looking at I'd recomment the Iwaki 70RLT. I also have a basement sump and I'm running a 55 AND a 40RLT (I believe in redundency).

I have a DIY skimmer that cost me about $40.00. Instead of running a seperate pump to operate the skimmer it takes advantage of the 9' drop to churn the water and feed the skimmer. Why waste all that kenetic energy, eh? Here's a rough design of the skimmer: http://guynterry.com/reef/equipment/skimmer_design.jpg

This design can only handle about 800gph so I'm in the process of improving the design using a 6" tube and 1.5" plumbing. The skimmer stands about 3.5' tall and works EXTREMELY well. Cleaning it is a chore but it's not terrible. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Guy (Warsaw)

Zmann
03/06/2002, 05:49 PM
I would go with a Beckett driven skimmer. Yes it will cost you a few cents more for running the pump each month but it will also crank out the scum better then any other skimmer on the market. I would not go with 4-4" 12volt fans running on a 5volt power supply. I would go with 4-4" 24v fans running on a 15 to 18 volt power supply. Glendale Supply out here in Rochester has the fans and the power supply's for dirt cheap. Not to put down the guy who uses a 1800gal Mag on a 92gal tank coming from his basement but I have a Mag 18 running 2 Sea Swirls (1/2") coming from the bottom of my cabinet with a head of about 6 to7ft. By the way I have a 40gal breeder and I would like to add 2 Maxi jets on a wave maker to add to the flow I already have. Go big when it comes to flow because you could always redirect the current to where you want it or dont want it or you can just tone it down a tad with a gate valve. One other thing I would like to add, if the tank is 6ft in length I would add 3 Sea Swirls. You will love the Sea Swirls and I think the rest of your set up sounds kick a--.

cperson
03/07/2002, 05:29 PM
KBCobra,

Your system sounds awesome. You got a lot of good pricing on things too. Way to go.

I agree with Jamie on the water current issue. You will like more flow than your going to get with your return pump. If you add some maxijet 900's or 1200's you can control where the higher current areas are easier. Just gotta hide 'em in the rockwork if you can!

Also, with 1200 watts of lighting more airflow in your hood is a good thing. What's wrong with AC fans? Don't need an extra PS. Actually, because you have a large open top sump, you can exhaust a lot of heat that way. But you'll get a lot of evaporation too.

I like Guy's skimmer idea.

Zmann
03/08/2002, 04:55 PM
DC fans are much quieter