PDA

View Full Version : Ozone reactor (red sea w/aquac skimmer)

evilsike
10/16/2005, 06:51 PM
I have another thread concerning ozone but that was with a monitor issue. this question was there too but nothing to do with the monitor so I hope I'm not clogging the server with another subject.

btw, To those who have experience with ozone and Aqua C skimmer.

I have a John Guest fitting on the skimmer, Do you guys know if an ozone reactor is needed for this set up? if using an ozone reactor with red sea, does one need to buy an air pump for this set up to work?

thank you very much,
Any help is very much appreciated

jbphoenix
10/16/2005, 08:53 PM
You would not need an ozone reactor; you can just inject the ozone into the JG fitting. The skimmer will pull the ozone into the mixing chamber on the skimmer by the suction from the air injector. You would also want to probably filter the air discharged from the skimmer with carbon as well as the effluent before it goes back into the sump. I would also use an air dryer on the ozone generator as well because the Red Sea generators use a wire electrode which generates the ozone which can become corroded and stop working in a humid environment… such as anywhere close to your tank.. :D

evilsike
10/16/2005, 11:05 PM
jbphoenix, thanx for the reply.
the red sea listed come with an air drier 250. I assume that's not a very big drier.

On my Aqua C, I have the hose to a small cup that I put on top of my baffles at the sump. I guess that's where one carbon filled filter sock will go.

The way I set up my skimmer is outside the sump. I made a small stand just so the gate valve goes over the 10g sump then 1 90degree elbow and a pvc. Note: the end of the PVC pipe is about 1/2" below the water level. I assume the other carbon filled filter sock would be where this water from the skimmer exits?

I hope my basic understanding to this concept is correct. Sorry if I needed everything in it's simplest form, I don't quite have the "fish and reef" lingo, yet. :)

jbphoenix
10/17/2005, 12:11 PM
you are correct on where the carbon filters need to be placed.

I went ahead and bought a 500cc air dryer to go along with the 250cc and run them both in series. I regenerate the beads in the oven at 230 degrees around every 2 weeks.

I learned the hard way about 3 years ago that not using a dryer will cause the unit to stop working after about a year. I have had my Aquazone 100 running now for about 2 years with the air dryers attached and have not had a problem.

evilsike
10/17/2005, 01:13 PM
jbphoenix, so you currently have 750cc air drier? so running your aquazone 100 (I assume 100%) takes about 2 weeks to need a recharge?

I just hope this 250cc I'm getting doesn't need a recharge every other day

jbphoenix
10/17/2005, 05:22 PM
I don't run the unit 100% open as far as ozone dosage. I set the ozone level at around 50% open. ( if you have the plus model it would be around 50mg per hour). you do not want to run more than around 10mg per hour for every 15 gal. of water in your tank. Doing so could be dangerous to your livestock, and you don't want to have too much stray ozone in the air in your house either! In your manual it will give you more information on dosage.

Keep in mind that the amount of ozone you dose does not effect how ofen you have to recharge your dryer beads because the amount of air flow going through the ozone unit is constant. How often you have to recharge the beads would depend on how humid your environment is. I actually run a piece of tubing from the dryer to a place away from my sump so I don't draw in a lot of moist air into the dryers.

Also, make sure that you use ozone safe tubing for your connection from the ozone unit to the skimmer. the regular tubing will crack and fall to pieces because of the ozone in about 6 months or so of use.

You will enjoy how clear it will make the water in your tank.

If you have the funds, the 500cc dryer is not too expensive. MarineDepot has it for $36.00. Here is the link to their site: Air Dryer (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RS3693)

evilsike
10/17/2005, 06:02 PM
thanx jbphoenix.
this had been very informative.
I ordered the red sea ozone 50mg w/250 drier without the monitor it should be here on friday

I also purchaced 3 feet of the ozone tubing. at $2.79/ft it's not cheap. I'll keep in mind the other drier on my next purchase (got to have $175 for free shipping)

Thanx again,
It's been appreciated

jbphoenix
10/17/2005, 07:01 PM
One note...
The neoprene tubing that you will get from MarineDepot is very large in diameter and may not fit into your JG fitting on your skimmer. From what I found on This site (http://www.ozoneapplications.com/products/flexelene.htm) ,polyethylene tubing is ozone safe and this is the type of tubing you can buy in an icemaker kit from Home Depot and is the perfect diameter for the JG fitting on an EV-120. An icemaker kit from Home Depot is around $7.00. There may be JG adapters available as well that will allow a connection for larger diameter tubing.

Good luck with your new ozone generator, I am sure you will enjoy it.