PDA

View Full Version : Zebrasoma flavescens suitable for a beginner?

SeaHermit
03/06/2002, 03:55 AM
Hi!

I am looking forward to buying my first fish. My LFS suggested I would buy a Zebrasoma flavescens to get rid of my hair algae. Is this a suitable fish for a beginner? My tank has been up for 6 weeks now and is completely cycled. I have a 120gal tank with 120pounds of live rock and a 4" DSB.

He also suggested a goby but I don't remember its name. I was almost full gray but its tail was orange. Do you have an idea of this fishes suitability?

Thank you so much for this board. It has been huge help.

theviking
03/06/2002, 06:04 AM
i think yellow tang is great for beginners

Fishguru
03/06/2002, 07:23 AM
the biggest thing about the yellow tang, is its suceptability (not sure if thats spelled right) to ich. alos, be sure to feed it seaweed strips, or other algae after the hair algae is gone. It is a vital part of keeping them healthy. Im not sure which goby the LFS was refering to with that description. Another good choice would be a lawnmower blennny. they are great at eating any algae, especially on the glass. Good Luck-Guru

SeaHermit
03/06/2002, 08:16 AM
Thank you both for your answers. The other fish I was referring to wasn't a goby after all. It was a Bicolor Blenny also known as Ecsenius bicolor. How does this compare to the lawnmower?