PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my DIY sump/refugium design...

denkigroove
03/05/2002, 11:11 PM
After endlessly searching for ideas on how to set up my DIY refugium/sump, I've finally come up with a rough sketch on how I would set it up.

This is a rough scetch of my 30g long DIY sump/refugium I plan on hooking up to my 90g tank next week. Can you guys please take a look at it and give me ideas and suggestions on how I can improve the setup? The tank measures: 36x12x16. I plan on using acrylic sheets as the dividers and siliconing them to the glass. The refugium area will have an LOA, possibly a powerhead for current. The skimmer is a ETSS reef devil . A sponge will help minimize microbubbles from entering the return pump area. The reason for this setup is b/c I am working with the limited tools and supplies I have on hand. It would be far too expensive for me to go out and buy the tools for this one job. And custom making the sump at a shop is much too expensive also.

This is my first time plumbing so could you guys please help giving me suggestions on type of parts to use for the plumbing. The 90g is currently being custom built right now w/ an overflow. How should I plumb the water going to the sump then back to the tank? What is best to use, pvc, rubber tubing, etc. All the advice and suggestions is much appreciated.

wickerj
03/06/2002, 08:44 AM
Put your skimmer in the first chamber and your refugium in the 2nd one. You don't want to skim all the good stuff out of the water.
Jeff

wickerj
03/06/2002, 08:50 AM
When I said put your skimmer in the first chamber and your refugium in the 2nd you'll want to keep the skimmer chamber 10" and the refugium chamber 15". Also I'd put a union and a gate valve on the output side of your pump. That way you will be able to remove your pump for cleaning and the gate valve will help you regulate flow back into the tank.

Jeff

SmartWrasse
03/06/2002, 09:03 AM
I am planning a similar setup 30Long(first time newbie). Should there be filter material at the pipe into the sump to catch large particles?

Also, would the filter for bubbles need to be between the skimmer and refug to keep from filtering out refug organisms?
Thanks, Mike

denkigroove
03/06/2002, 10:16 AM
Thanks wickerj,
I also have another sketch of the skimmer being in the first compartment w/ a filter sock on the input pipe to catch particles, the refugium on the 2nd compartment , then the return pump in the 3rd. I was wondering if I still need a baffle to prevent microbubbles from getting into the refugium then to the return chamber? Or would the bubbles rise and disappear before it gets to the return chamber?

All opinions much appreciated!

Agu
03/06/2002, 04:39 PM
I would,

1) Move the valve to the output side of the pump as previously suggested.

2) move the skimmer to the first chamber and resize chambers appropriately.

3) skip the mechanical prefilter, your skimmer should be able to handle the waste.

4) The last 6 X 12 area will show all evaporation as they're the lowest compartments in the tank system, and there will be less than two gallons in that compartment. Not much room for evap before you'll be sucking air. If you remove the last baffle you'll up capacity in that chamber closer to 3.5 gallons.

5)A refugium full of caulerpa and live rock my eliminate the need for the last sponge. The bubbles tend to pop as they navigate to the return pump.

6) I'd get it drilled for an external pump, even if you're using a submerged pump, you may change your mind.

Agu

denkigroove
03/06/2002, 06:46 PM
Here's another pic of a revised plan of the sump. Let me know if this is an improvement and what else I can do to it. I cannot drill into the tank b/c of the limited resources I have so I will stick with the return pump inside the compartment.

I added a check valve on the return pipe to prevent flooding backflow in case of a blackout or pump turns off. I also added a float valve sensor to sound an alarm if the water begins to fill up. Any more suggestions guys?

denkigroove
03/06/2002, 07:02 PM
Another version w/ the Reef Devil skimmer set on a stand. I didnt want the output of the skimmer to be submerged in the water so I felt I should raise it. So do you guys think this version (refugium2) is better than the previous one w/ the skimmer output submerged?

denkigroove
03/06/2002, 07:03 PM
woops, forgot to attatch pic.

denkigroove
03/07/2002, 12:47 AM
^

Agu
03/07/2002, 11:19 AM
Two suggestions. It looks like the skimmer output goes directly to the second chamber. That could result in bubbles being returned to the tank. Second, on my sump there are three baffles after the skimmer, over-under-over. They're only about an inch apart so it doesn't take up much room, but it really dissipates the bubbles.

fwiw,hth,etc,

Agu

denkigroove
03/07/2002, 05:35 PM
Ok,
Something like this? So how would I clean the baffles if it begins to build up with gunk? I like this design a little better. Any more suggestions guys? I would like to have a final design before I start putting it together this weekend.

I will be using acrylic sheets as the dividers. So what type of silicon will stick the acrylic and glass best? Thanks in advance!

snow2000
03/08/2002, 11:49 AM
denkigroove thanks for your inquiry!

I am also constructing a new reef set-up this week-end. The Refugium/sump is new for me so your hacking it out here has been extremely helpful for me, thanks. I have a few questions:

1) The Reef that I am setting up will be a 55 gallon show tank(not as long as the normal 55, but taller and more depth from front to back), would a 15-20 gallon refug/sump be sufficient?
2) The 55 gallon that I am using is a glass tank and it is NOT drilled, besides getting it drilled is there another way to get the water from the 55 gallon to the refug/sump?
3) What is the purpose of the Float valve?
4) What keeps the pump from running dry?

One more question, What is everyones oppinions of using a DSB both in the refugium and 55 gallon tank?

Thanks for all the info,
Mark

denkigroove
03/08/2002, 12:25 PM
hi snow2000,
Well I'm kinda new to this too. But I can try to answer your question to the best of my knowledge:

1) A 20 gallon sump would be sufficient enough but depending on type of skimmer you are using you may have to opt for a 20g long or 30g long as I.

2)You can get an overflow box from your lfs to run from the back to the sump. This is probably the best alternative to drilling your tank. Cost about $50

3)Well the float valve is just an idea I had to hook up to an alarm to go off if for some reason my pump fails and the tank begins to fill up and possibly flood. Then if I'm home, I can just shut the gate valve to prevent flooding.

4)Well to keep your pump from running dry, you can hook up a float valve for that also in case the level is too low, it can shut off the pump, and when the level rises, the pump turns back on

-A deep sand bed is a very good recommendation for a refugium

Perhaps other more experienced members can help comment on your questions also. Regards

snow2000
03/08/2002, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info,

One more thing I am considering, I had read a post where a member built the refugium next to the tank at a higher level, this was a suggested way to keep from having to drill the main tank. The supply pump would be in the main tank and pump the water to the sump which would then overflow to the refugium. The refug/sump would be a custom built acrylic box with the overflow returning to the main tank. If designed properly the sump functions would be in the rear of the box and the refugium area would be in the front. This would kind of give another nice viewing area in addition to the main tank. What do you think? any reason this would or wouldn't work?

Thanks again!
Mark

snow2000
03/08/2002, 02:16 PM
^Bump^

denkigroove
03/08/2002, 02:29 PM
Ah yes,
You mean a gravity fed refugium? I have a DIY gravity fed refugium on the side of my 10g nano tank. I've posted several pics before on it. I also have it as a display tank w/ various calerpa, LR and a bloodshrimp. Here's a couple of pics of the refugium on the side of the tank.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=403200

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=403324

snow2000
03/08/2002, 02:42 PM
That is sweet! Do you mind if I email with questions when I get ready to build mine? How do you like it does it work good?

Thanks,
Mark