PDA

View Full Version : Long Island basements take the plunge

CaptiveReef
10/15/2005, 04:19 AM
Well Long Island has received 6 months of rain in a matter of 7-8 days. My frag system survived, I had all the ballast's up on blocks, and the sump pump is removing the water at a steady rate.
Yes I will be water proofing the basement after the cleanup crews suck up the 3 inches of water that has 1000 square feet covered.
I got to experience rainforest conditions, just wonderful:eek1:

:thumbdown

CaptiveReef

Hop
10/15/2005, 04:29 AM
Good to hear that the system survived! Have you thought of moving your operations to western Colorado? over 300 sunshine filled days a year and near-drought conditions... Once you get used to the wild fires , it's not so bad:)

All humor aside... Are you going to have to worry about nasty mold and mildew issues when everything is cleaned out?

NexDog
10/15/2005, 04:34 AM
We have a rainy season here in Japan in June (6 weeks). We get half the annual rainfall in those 6 weeks and the other half in the hurricane season. No, we don't have basements here in southern Japan. :p

Paul B
10/15/2005, 08:04 AM
I live on Long Island and I am lucky about not having any water in my basement (except my reef tank).
As for moving to Colorado, I was stationed there for about six months before Nam and I tell people if Colorado had an ocean it would be perfect. Beautiful scenery and no crowds. But it does need an ocean.
Paul

magnum420
10/15/2005, 08:24 AM
Thats funny... I lived in Huntington for 10years... any time we had a big rain our basement would flood... You'd think they would figure out how to build a basement out there...

Also lived in Colorado.. Plan on moving back as soon as I can... but I will miss the ocean, I guess skiing all winter will have to do! :D

Good luck on the cleanup! Been there many times!

NexDog
10/15/2005, 08:32 AM
I lived in Colorado '96-'97 - Breckenridge, Summit County. Never liked the sea for some reason (weird, huh?) but always been crazy about mountains and winter sports. I always think of those days in Breck as some of my happiest and most peaceful.

MIKE NY
10/15/2005, 09:15 AM
CR...sorry to hear that. There are few guys who now have ponds in their basements. I've been lucky...high and dry. I just have the dehumidifer working and the basement windows open to air out the dampness.

Scuba_Dave
10/15/2005, 09:47 AM
We just have a little dribble, not much.

Once the greenhouse is finished & the sunroom that problem should be fixed. I re-landscaped the side yard to direct water away from the house & the floor doesn't get damp/wet any more

We had a 6-8" flood in March - we were on vacation. The sump pump failed, my brother in law got it going

The land across the street is flooded & it's still raining
The culvert under the road has a rock wall - must be some kids - so I have to call the Town & have them fix it

I was going to do it, but hey, that's their job right?

CaptiveReef
10/15/2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Hop
Good to hear that the system survived! Have you thought of moving your operations to western Colorado? over 300 sunshine filled days a year and near-drought conditions... Once you get used to the wild fires , it's not so bad:)

All humor aside... Are you going to have to worry about nasty mold and mildew issues when everything is cleaned out?

:D Well I have the cleanup crew coming this evening to suck all the water out, and put blowers all over. I was covered by my insurance, thank GOD.

The one and only wet one, CaptiveReef:)

TC3modena
10/15/2005, 06:44 PM
i live on long island and my basement was alright, good thing since we just finished remodeleing it, our rain gauge said we got 14" over 8 days

GettingFiesty
10/15/2005, 07:27 PM
CR--what kind of insurance do you have?

I remember when we had a fluke flood (10" in 4 hrs) about 8 years ago and everybody had most of that in their basements--none of us were covered :(

So glad all is OK for you guys up there!

CaptiveReef
10/16/2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by GettingFiesty
CR--what kind of insurance do you have?

I remember when we had a fluke flood (10" in 4 hrs) about 8 years ago and everybody had most of that in their basements--none of us were covered :(

So glad all is OK for you guys up there!

I have a sump pump installed in the foundation of the house, that failed. So I was covered by my insurance. If I had no sump pump, I would have no coverage. They call it an act of GOD :rolleyes:
My buddy had no coverage, and when the insurance company told him it was an act of God.
His responce was "No an act of God is someone helping you pull my boot out of your rectum":lol:
He wasn't happy with the insurance companies answer.

:D CaptiveReef

GettingFiesty
10/16/2005, 03:00 PM
Oh man, we had a sump too! We lost electricity for 12 hours so there was no pumping possible. I wish I would have known that then. Thanks for the info--God forbid it ever happen again, we will know better.

Hope you are drying out OK. We survived with only minimal water this time, but now we are having high winds, so we have to worry about big trees being uprooted since the ground is still so wet. If it's not one thing...