PDA

View Full Version : pro's and con's of PC lighting vs. VHO

Beginner
03/05/2002, 07:03 AM
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of PC lighting vs. VHO?
I have a 75 gallon tank and plan on having a FOWLR and maybe a couple anemenes. (My dilema is going with about a 330 watt PC vs Ice Cap's. (PC is about $100 cheaper for the same output)

just_let_me_reef
03/05/2002, 08:41 AM
i vote power compacts cuz they are much brighter than vho. i have never used vho so i will leave that to be commented on by someone else.

mtellin
03/05/2002, 10:25 AM
I personally like the looks of VHO much better, I would wait at least a year for your tank to mature before adding an anenome and even then youd prob want to look into upgrading your lighting, you'll have much better success if you have halides, otherwise you will have to feed it a lot to keep it happy.

Angel*Fish
03/06/2002, 11:24 AM
I have pc's and wish I had bought VHO's - just like the look better, too.

Do lots of reading before you get anemones...they can be kinda tricky. And agree with above - wait at least a year - I know that sounds like overkill, but it really isn't. Also if you are planning LR and anemones and lots of fish, you need lots of LR IMO. And that can affect the amount of swimming space your fish get. I'm not saying you can't do this, but if you are talking about large nutrient producer type fish - that doesn't usually go well with animals that need very clean (low nitrate ) water. My tank right now is pretty much a FOWLR and a few anemones and corals - but I have teeny fish except for the female maroon . My Valentini puffer eats my detritus eaters (cool fish, though) and is growing fast .. and right now even though my parameters are all undetectable, I have signifigant algae growth. I don't have a problem because I see this as an opportunity to open up a refugium on my way to the big 180g. But if you see your present tank as your primary objective, you would be pretty unhappy in my predicament.
I know this was long and rambling -- but I'm hoping it helps a little.
Here's a picture of my messy tank :C:\AQUARIUM_PHOTOS\queen_isabella_and_prince.jpg.vbs

xlurker
03/06/2002, 11:33 AM
After much reading about the advantages, I setup my 75 with 4x96 PC. Things were good but not great. When I upgraded to a 150, I went with 5x160 VHO. Everything in the tank is much happier (growing faster, colors are better) than I ever experienced with PC.

IMO

Xlurker