PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Waste/Color?

Beginner
03/05/2002, 06:55 AM
I have recently built a DIY skimmer that I saw off of this site and have a few questions. First of all the skimmer is ~4 inches in diameter and ~20 inches tall. It is a CC skimmer using an air pump/limestone for bubbles. I set it up last night and am wondering just how much waste one would expect to see in a day? I have a 75 gallon tank that is cycling with a DSB and a few pieces of live rock. Is the waste expected to be dark at this point? Also, my bubbles don't seem all that "dry". I realize that making a skimmer takes some knowledge and maybe some trial/error. If my design is at fault does anyone have any suggestions on building a skimmer or does anyone have any input on where I can find a good skimmer for under $150. The skimmer is powered by an old powerhead (I bought a maxi-jet 1200 but it was too powerful for my setup). Thanks for the help.
Kevin:bounce1:

dmky
03/05/2002, 11:32 PM
I put a Berlin 60 skimmer on my newly cycled 55 gallon. It is doing nothing but blowing white foam(bubbles) and filling up my collection cup with h20. I read something about it takes a little while for the skimmer to work as intended in one of these forums. I would wait and see, trust your work.