PDA

View Full Version : Please advise: UV light for a Fish Only/LR tank?

denkigroove
03/05/2002, 04:58 AM
I'm setting up a 90g Fish Only/ Live Rock tank. I was wondering is a UV light highly recommended for a Fish Only tank? This would help greatly by reducing the percentage of floating algae, fungus, ich, etc. in the tank. Anyone has opinions on this? I will stock about 100+ lbs of LR w/ a 30g DIY sump/refugium.

DgenR8
03/05/2002, 06:22 AM
denkigroove,
I have always been told that a UV was not a reef friendly piece of equipment, that it would remove beneficial bacteria from the water. As far as fish only with live rock, (FOWLR) I think they are more widely accepted and used.
The last aquarium club meeting I attended featured a speaker that seemed to push the idea of using one for reef tanks too. I don't really buy it. I'm interested in seeing where this thread might go.

Scholesy
03/05/2002, 04:26 PM
I switch mine on for 2 weeks after I add a new fish, and I *feel* it makes a difference. If one or two spots appear on the new fish; they're gone very soon - possibly due to the UV, certainly in conjunction with the cleaner shrimp and 7-10 days on garlic-soaked food.

My .02

Macimage
03/05/2002, 11:16 PM
I agree with Scholesy. I (and several other member of our reef club) have UV's on our reef tanks to be used only when necessary. They are great to have in case of a spot of ick showing up. Also, I recommend using it when adding new fish to the tank.

Joyce