PDA

View Full Version : new lights, new algae

KillerReef
03/05/2002, 02:14 AM
I recently upgraded to mh and now with the added wattage, I have had an algae breakout in the sandbed and a bit on the rocks. Is this an issue to worry about, or just wait it out. I have a bunch of snails and two cucumbers but they don't seem to be having any effect on the sand. I also seem to have what looks like cyano(from how I've heard it described).

Any suggestions on specific creatures to rid the ugly sand or will it eventually go away. Also, I have some halimeda and valonia macroalgaes coming from Inlandaquatics next week. Will this help get rid of it if I put it in the sump?

The tank has been up for four months and I had an initial bloom during the cycle, but that was gone until the new lights.

Amm and no2 are zero. no3 is .2 and phospates are 0. Any suggestions?

BTW lights are on 10 hrs a day.

dattack
03/05/2002, 03:04 AM
Did you acclimate the tank by slowly increasing the wattage or photoperiod? I was just wondering what the previous lighting was before the MHs.
Usually you want to take it slow because you don't want to shock the system in terms of killing some photosynthetic corals/creatures that need some time to acclimate.
I am not sure how bad your algae is right now but eventually it will go away if nutrients are in check and you have a good cleaning crew.
Furthermore, the macroalgae/caluerpa will also assist you in nutrient export thereby decreasing algae growth.

KillerReef
03/05/2002, 04:15 PM
previuosly I had 220 watts of pcs, 2 55w actinic and 2 55w 10000k daylight.

I now have the two 55w actinic and dual 175w 12000k mh. I am waiting on a ballast for the 2 55w daylight because it blew up just before adding the mh.

And I acclimated them 4 hrs the first weeks 6 the next 8 the next and now 10. The actinics are set to go on one hour before and off one hour after the MH. HTH