PDA

View Full Version : OK....lighting seems to be open for debate

itnerd
03/05/2002, 01:13 AM
I have a 180 G Ocea tank. I have seen successful tanks the same size with 4 VHO's only and on the flip side I've seen 180's with 3 400W MH.
I'm wondering if 3 double ended 175W MH enclosed in the larger PFO pendants placed a little closer to the water would do the trick.
I am still looking at an empty tank on the floor and would love to know if anyone has this configuration or advice on my plan.
I want to keep LPS and softies and maybe a clam or two.
From reading past posts for weeks, I've decided that water quality has as much to do with coral growth as light.
I also wonder if SPS would do well.
My tank is 24" deep. If I put in a 5" DSB I'll have a distance of 19" of water to penetrate and save heat/money/energy. Am I way off base here?
Thanks in advance

Skipper
03/05/2002, 05:15 PM
I'm wondering if 3 double ended 175W MH The double-ended hqi (which I think you are referring to) are available in 150 watt & 250 watt. For a 180, I would recommend the 250 watt due to the depth of your tank.I've decided that water quality has as much to do with coral growth as light. Don't forget one other factor: circulation. Without good current/circulation, you will not get good growth rates.

cacplkings
03/05/2002, 07:02 PM
I agree with skipper on the 250w double enders due to the depth your working at.

Otherwise, 400w single enders.

chris

itnerd
03/05/2002, 09:08 PM
I guess I like the look(ripple) of the metal halide and the VHO look as well. I know the issue is what's good for the corals. I planned on using 1" SS for circulation on a closed circuit to supplement the returns.
The rage seems to be MH but surely there is a combination that is more 50/50 instead of just VHO suppliment.
Thanks all...

mtellin
03/05/2002, 11:30 PM
Another suggestion would be to use 3/4" SS's instead of the 1", the 1" are known to be quite noisy

cacplkings
03/06/2002, 09:59 AM
Itnerd,

The recommendation of the MH wattage is for 2 reasons:

The depth of your tank and the ability to keep high light requiring species.

It's not that 'put as much as you can' attitude and only use VHO for acentics. It was based more on the actual penetration of the light and keeping of SPS and CLAMS. IF you want to just keep LPS and softies, by all means use a more balanced lighting. But in the long run, you will probably be finding yourself wanting the higher light stuff.

Chris