PDA

View Full Version : PFO Mini vs Reefoptix III

Infinitereef
10/12/2005, 01:58 PM
Anyone know the difference between both?

Trying to decide which one to get. Do they come with the fan built in? Do they even need fan to cool it down??

Julio
10/12/2005, 02:00 PM
the only difference is the reflector, but i would actually go with Luminirac pendants they are better equip with lighting direction.

samsfishnchips
10/12/2005, 02:41 PM
lol,

Infinitereef,

both reflector are excellent, only a bit different with regards how they perform, in general terms the

PFO mini is more square output while the reefoptix III is more horizontal output, so the tank has to be taken into consideration,

I was debating the same thing, and talk to people that owned both, and they were happy with both, but decide to go with reefoptix III, because I got a package at reefgeek for the whole HOI setup,

I think you will be happy with either one, but the tank has to be taken into consideration as state above, look here for more info and to get a good idea of what I'm talking about

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/index.htm

there you will find them tested, and other goodies :D

and no they don't come with fan built in, and no they don't need a fan to cool it down, but you might want to put a fan on the canopy if you use one if you have issues with heat, and that goes for any light

two of the best DE reflector you can find, good luck,

sam

Infinitereef
10/12/2005, 04:01 PM
Sam : thanks for the info.

How about the ease of changing the bulb. I heard some negative about breaking the buld while changing it.

Infinitereef
10/12/2005, 04:11 PM
Also, is 10K XDE mean XM DE bulb?

samsfishnchips
10/12/2005, 04:51 PM
Infinitereef,

DE bulbs are extremely fragile, so care needs to be taken when changing, also you can't touch them with bare hands, your oils will break it when it heats up

but is not like you are going to be changing left and right, thats only done once a year, and imo everything you do, should be done with care

yes the 10K XDE means XM DE bulb,

have you run any?

just make sure you know what you like and what you are aiming for, good luck,

sam

Large Polyp Dave
10/12/2005, 04:57 PM
if you still haven't purchase DE bulbs... would you consider the SE lumenarc setup?

lumenarc numbers are consistently than either of those DE setups once you use a UV shield (which is necessary).

a lot of people people who have started off with lumenarcs and tried RO3 pendants, go back to the lumenarcs

Infinitereef
10/12/2005, 05:31 PM
Dave; Is there a thread on the Lumenarcs?

No, I am still trying to decide which pendants I should get. And i heard good comments on the XM 10K.

samsfishnchips
10/12/2005, 05:41 PM
Infinitereef,

there are many treads on lumenarcs, just do a quick search

what is the side of the tank the lighting is going to be for? that will play a role too

the xm 10k is a great bulb with alot of power, but the SE and DE are very different, the SE is crisp white with a hint of yellow/white, and the DE is a yellow bulb, both need actinics in order to be pleasant to me

do you like yellow, white, or blue look?

do you want excellent growth or more color?

do you pack corals in a spot or all over?

questions like this will help you decide on what you are aiming for,

then the another twist, the ballast, electronic, mag, HQI, will change the look dramatecally,

and on top of that put personal preference, and things get a bit complicated :D, but with time and seem a few tanks in person you should get an idea of what you like :)

good luck, and research

sam

Infinitereef
10/13/2005, 09:28 AM
Sam: Thx for asking those question. I like white color.

This is what I found so far in Sanjay site
PPF CCT
XM 10K 95 ~7100K
Ushio 10K 65 9500K
Phoenix 14K 73
AB 10K 83 8300K
EVC 10K 97 6400K
BLV 10K 66 8800K

It seem that there is a tradeoff between the PAR vs CCT.

I also look up the Lumenarcs. It kind of big. Not sure whether space is allow. Will do more reading.....It seem like the more you read, the more undecisive I am.

arconom
10/13/2005, 09:34 AM
Infinitereef

What size tank is this for?

Infinitereef
10/13/2005, 11:38 AM
I have a 180g In wall tank mostly will stock stony coral. Will need 3 pendant.

grigsy
10/13/2005, 11:48 AM
Both are nice. If I recall correctly, the SLS scored slightly better in one of Sanjays tests.

samsfishnchips
10/13/2005, 12:23 PM
Infinitereef,

three pendants would do the job nicely, I would recommend luminarch to owners of bigger tanks,

have a friend with a 220g and its doing extremely well for the pasts years, with 3 ROIII, and three icecaps

I for myself love the phoenix 14k, with HQI is a nice crisp white with a hint of blue,

sam

Infinitereef
10/13/2005, 01:26 PM
I already have a 72" hood from Coralvue. I am assuming I can run the Coralvue Electronic-ballast on any lamp with ROIII, right?

loweryster
10/13/2005, 01:51 PM
Infinitereef, you have a PM

jman77
10/13/2005, 03:09 PM
How about the Icecap pendant. The reflector in the Icecap looks like it would out perform the SLS or PFO

grigsy
10/13/2005, 04:41 PM
Nunez, I have seen the phoenix 14K and it was blue in color. It had a nice look. How old is your phoenix that it is crisp white with a hint of blue? Did it fade?

samsfishnchips
10/13/2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by grigsy
Nunez, I have seen the phoenix 14K and it was blue in color. It had a nice look. How old is your phoenix that it is crisp white with a hint of blue? Did it fade?

mine is a few months old, and it got whiter, and I'm running wave VII HQI ballast, on electronic is a different story,

sam

Infinitereef
10/13/2005, 06:33 PM
Saw the Icecap Pendant that is switchable between 250W and 400W. Anyone has any experience with the Icecap?

Saw another thread that talk about the PFO Mini is more spreadout, and the ROIII is more focus. Any truth to this?

samsfishnchips
10/13/2005, 08:06 PM
Infinitereef,

check the article on the link, it will show you how they lighted an area,

the PFO is more light square output, while the ROIII was more like a rectangle output,

sam