PDA

View Full Version : Which Brand of Lighting?

kemperr
03/04/2002, 08:57 PM
Hello Reef Central!

I have a 55 gallon (12 x 48 inches) tank that I am setting up as a saltwater tank. I have been taking it slow, researching things carefully--or at least trying to--I'm on a budget. Right now, I have 4" of oolitic sand, a Prizm protein skimmer, a Magnum 350 canister filter (I've heard it's not good, but I already had it) and saltwater. I also got a few pounds live rock at the LFS, but I think I was taken for a ride, as it looks more dead than alive. Anyway, before I add more rock, it's time to add the lights, which is the nature of my question here. [specifically concerning compact fluorescents]

I don't have a glass lid on my tank. I've heard that it's best not to have one to keep the heat buildup to a minimum. Is this true? I'm planning on mounting the lights about 4" above the water to keep salt spray away and minimize the heat impact. Also, I need to get a [CF] light with rubber/waterproof endcaps or encased in its own box. Does this sound right? I'm on a real budget, and a newbie, so I am planning on starting out with a fish/invertebrate/live rock tank (I like the idea of lots of inverts). However, I'd like enough light to have at least a few soft corals or other easy photosynthetic things. I think this puts me at around 180-220 watts for 55 gallons, which is about all I can afford, anyway.

So, after reading all there is out there on the web, I've narrowed it down to a few lighting options. However, before investing all this money, I want to get some feedback to make sure my final purchase is the right one. Could you help me? Which setup would you recommend?

1. The 2x65 watt 48" smartlite (130 watts total)
I have heard this is a good light, but that it might not be enough intensity.
2. Two 2 x 55 watt Realux retrofits (220 watts total)
I have heard that the actinic bulb that comes in this light is not true actinic. Should I be concerned about this. Also, does this come with an electronic ballast? I've also seen another brand called Jalli for pretty cheap, but haven't heard anything about it. it's cheaper than the others...
3. 4 x 55 Watt PFO retrofit (220 watts total)
I have heard that the PFO lights come with a TAR ballast instead of an electronic balast, and that electronic ballasts are better. Is this true?
4. 2 x 96 Watt PFO retrofit (192 watts total)
This light is only 36" long. Will it work for my 48" long tank?

I'd really appreciate your opinion -- which setup can I get by on? (obviously, the more watts, the more $$). Thanks!

dattack
03/04/2002, 09:46 PM
Sounds like your lighting choices are fine. PFO makes a good product but I am uncertain about the ballast type. Electronic ballasts do save you money in terms of electricity consumption.

But don't forget some other options such as VHO which are pretty good also in terms of getting the lighting requirements for your tank. You can use 2x6500 GE bulbs for $5 each and 2 URI actinics with hellolights VHO.

http://www.hellolights.com/48retrokits1.html

That's going to give up a max of 440 Watts.

If you like power compacts, www.hellolights.com do make a true actinic bulb which is much better than the blue bulb. They also have a $10 discount on purchase over $50.

http://www.hellolights.com/4x55wretrokit.html

djwang
03/05/2002, 03:51 PM
Of your choices, I would go with 4x55. I'd like to point out that more watts does not necessarily mean more $$, ie. 2x96 at HelloLights is $245 and 4x55 is $239 (assuming you're not wedded to the PFOs).

With regards to the 36" bulb -- on a 48" tank, if you use 4x96, it's not an issue (there are any number of ABS boxes made for this applications), but if you are going to use only 2 bulbs, you MAY be stuck using 50/50 bulbs (smart lite, etc.) due to the configuration and unequal lighting on the ends (see: http://www.hellolights.com/482x96wret.html). If you were to use a PC 03 and a 10,000K, 1/4 of the tank wouldn't see the 03 bulb, and 1/4 wouldn't see the 10,000K.

David

Macimage
03/05/2002, 11:31 PM
First, when you consider the difference between 4 55 watts and 2 96 watts, remember to take into account the cost of the replacement bulbs.

In a year when you go to replace the bulbs, the 55 watt bulbs (10K, panasonic end cap) is $31.00. The 96 Watt (10k, pansonic end caps) is $32.95. The 7100 K actinics are $24.00 and $32.00 respectively. Therefore, the cost to replace the 4 55 watt bulbs will be $110 and the 2 96 watts will be $65, plus shipping on both.

Joyce

kemperr
03/06/2002, 12:53 AM
Thank you VERY MUCH for the helpful comments. I really appreciate it.

Right now, despite my wallet's better judgment, I think I am going to get 4 X 55s:
I think I will get the 10,000 K and 03 bulbs.

I have the choice of german or japanese pins.
Any suggestions on which to get!

Thanks again!

dattack
03/06/2002, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by kemperr
Thank you VERY MUCH for the helpful comments. I really appreciate it.

Right now, despite my wallet's better judgment, I think I am going to get 4 X 55s:
I think I will get the 10,000 K and 03 bulbs.

I have the choice of german or japanese pins.
Any suggestions on which to get!

Thanks again!

Don't forget the discount.

E-Coupon Code: ZHL0302 Good For $10.00 off of purchases of $50.00 or more.

Expiration Date: March 15, 2002

Macimage
03/06/2002, 01:01 AM
I think that will work out very well for you. The pin arrangement is really personal preference. Obviously, hellolamps carries both. Coralife has both styles available. However, I think Custom Sea Life only has the 4 pins in a square configuration, so maybe that would be the best choice as you have more options with replacement bulbs.

Good Luck, Joyce

djwang
03/06/2002, 07:50 PM
As macimage pointed out, most bulbs are available in both styles -- with the exception of the CSL branded ones. If I remember correctly the straight pin bulbs are somewhat cheaper from hellolights (you'll want to check that yourself).

David

kemperr
03/25/2002, 12:23 PM
Thanks for everybody's help!
I purchased the 4x55 from hellolights, square pin configuration.
I built a canopy to accomodate the light. It was a very large project for me, but I had a great time doing it. I had been planning how to build the canopy for several months. Many trips to home depot and I aquired some hand tools. (There are pictures here of it.. if anyone wants plans for it, let me know...) The only problem is that there is lots of extra cord between the ballasts and the lights; for some this would be good, but I bundled it and secured it tightly to the back of the canopy. The light has been on for about a week now; after a few days I added the second larger piece of live rock, on which some purple things with little shoots are growing. I also have diatoms growing as the tank cycles, and the 2 snails and 2 hermit crabs are doing well. This is very fun! The lights make a huge difference, and my apartment glows purple from the windows. I wonder what the neighbors think!? The tank has been running a bit warm, as I have no fan installed. I am going to continue to see if I can adjust things to bring the temperature down from 82 to 76, where I want it to be, but I might have to install a fan...
Thanks again for everyone's help.

Macimage
03/25/2002, 12:36 PM
Nice job on the hood. It's looking really good!!

Good luck, Joyce

T3
03/25/2002, 01:57 PM
is what your neigherbors might think. At least that's what one of my neighbors think of my open-back hood when the actinics are on at night. :D I have light shades on the windows so the glow is bright!

Nice job!

Tom