PDA

View Full Version : Cowrie in reef tank

jmcmahon66
10/11/2005, 11:18 AM
This morning before the lights came on, I notice what I thought was my small sea hare, but was actually a small cowrie. It retracted the hairy mantle and had a smooth white shell when I touched it. Should I remove it? Are they coral predators?

Regards,
Joe

greenbean36191
10/11/2005, 12:08 PM
A picture or better description of the shell would help. Most cowries aren't reef safe, but a few small ones with white shells are. They are the money cowrie and the ring cowrie. A google search should turn up pictures for you to compare.

jmcmahon66
10/12/2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks Greenbean. I saw him again this morning, and got a better look at his shell. It appears to be a money cowrie, although his shell is more pure white, less greyish. He appeared to be eating algae off a powerhead, so I will leave him alone. thanks for the information.

Regards,
Joe

seanmcn
10/12/2005, 09:53 AM
I had an unidentified cowrie similar to the one you describe arrive with some live rock. It harmed nothing and lived for seven years, staying much the same size . It died last month(sniff!)

anabolic_1
10/12/2005, 10:02 AM
If the cowrie has a white shell with a orange either diamond/ square on top of the shell, those are tolkien cowries and are reef safe, I have about six of them in my reef and they have done no harm, had them for about 3 years.
GL
Mike.

greenbean36191
10/12/2005, 10:22 AM
Here is a picture to show you some of the variation within money cowries. http://www.gastropods.com/6/Shell_76.html

Keep in mind though there are several other white shelled cowries that it could also, be so you should keep an eye on it since most aren't reef safe.