PDA

View Full Version : Need to clean my live rock of sand.

mmotown
10/11/2005, 10:22 AM
Guys my LR is covered in sand. I mean alot of sand. I had to turn down my Tunzes 6000's. I have very fine sand I bought from ESVCO.com. I think I saw Dr.Ron state that he uses it. Anyway my sand was added after my LR was already stacked. The company that set my tank up is coming to restack it because the stacking was done blindly. Well what I wanted to know is I thought it would be good to get two tubs filled with salt water. Dip the pieces of rock into one tub to rinse the sand off and then dip it in the other as a final rinse and then put it back in the tank. Initially I was going to draw pretty much all of my water out of my tank so the aquascaping could be done without the cloudyness from the sand. After the rock is stacked, I would slowly add the water back. I figured this way my rock won't get covered all over again with this sand. Did I initially rinse my sand? The answer is no and I wish I had. I am new to this hobby and I am seeing everyone has an opinion about how they would or wouldn't do something. :) . However if I had to do it over again, I would rinse my sand. Anyway let me know what you guys think I should do. Thanks alot!!!!

PoukieBear
10/11/2005, 10:29 AM
I would leave your sand in the tank and just blow it off with a turkey baster. it's much easier!