PDA

View Full Version : Please advise on 90g LR/fish only setup?

denkigroove
03/04/2002, 06:59 PM
Hi guys,
I need all the expert advice I can get for this setup I am setting up. I'm currently in the process of setting up a 90 gallon all fish/ LR tank. Here's an idea of what I plan on doing:
- 90g oceanic tank/canopy/stand/built-in overflow
- 100lbs live rock
- 150-200lbs live sand
- 4-48" VHO from hellolights
- Super Reef Devil Skimmer w/ pump
- 350w titanium heater
- electronic pH/thermometer probe
- 2-Maxi jet 1200 for current
- Quiet One (return pump)
- 20g DIY refugium/sump

Can any of you guys please advise on my setup? For the refugium, I plan on buying a 20g long tank and splitting one side (2/3) for a refugium (40lbs live sand and macros) and the other side as a sump. Is this ok? Or do you think there isn't enough live rock for the fish and I should opt for a wet/dry instead? Any and all advice is needed. Thanks fellas :)

kimmeewoo
03/04/2002, 07:43 PM
That sounds like an excellent set-up. About 150 pounds will be just the right amount of live rock, When you decide to start adding corals (and you WILL) you won't have much upgrading to do.

I don't know enough about your particular skimmer to know if it's good, but a good rule of thumb is to buy a skimmer that's rated for twice the size of your tank.

As for your sump, you might want to do a search on sump designs. You will probably want to put a few baffles into your sump to make sure there aren't any bubbles returned to your tank. If you can, I would also opt for a larger sump. More water = more stability. Besides, 2/3 of a 20 gal won't have much room for macroalgae.

Good luck!