PDA

View Full Version : Could you pull this off......

WatchUrSix
03/04/2002, 05:39 PM
Could I use a wet\dry and a DSB in the same system? And if you could how could i go about doing so with a 40g tank. Since i need at least a 4-6 in bed, it only leaves 9 in high Coral space. If i cut down on the depth of the bed, it leaves room for the bottom layer of the DSB to get wet. Thus it will server no purpose.

The idea of doing both is to cut down on nitrate lvl's.

Does this sound like a good idea. and could i use cruched live coral in my wet\dry? And if i did what would the effect be?

Skipper
03/04/2002, 06:09 PM
Could I use a wet\dry and a DSB in the same system? Yes, but what would you need the wet/dry for? They are nitrate producers.If i cut down on the depth of the bed, it leaves room for the bottom layer of the DSB to get wet. Thus it will server no purpose. ???? The bottom of the sandbed is supposed to get wet. :DThe idea of doing both is to cut down on nitrate lvl's. No, not really. The deep sand bed will help reduce your nitrates, but the wet/dry will be creating nitrates. No need for the wet/dry.and could i use cruched live coral in my wet\dry? And if i did what would the effect be? Yes, you could......but ditch the wet/dry. :D

gas4544
03/04/2002, 06:09 PM
You could have a shallow sand bed in the main 40-gallon tank and install your DSB in the sump. Just use the wet/dry as a sump/refugium and not have any bio-balls or similar media.

What are the dimensions of your sump?

WatchUrSix
03/04/2002, 06:13 PM
I don't have it set up. My LFC is telling me that all he's heard about DSBs from people that have started them is unhappy stories.

He said that they last about a year, then they crash. He said Wet|Dry works the other way around. Its unstable for about 6 months to a year. and then you will start to seee that the tank gets stable.

He doesn't want to go to far into DSB systems and he doesn't seem to want to help me set one up.

He's all about wet\dry systems, says they have worked for him for years.

gas4544
03/04/2002, 06:18 PM
It sounds like your LFS is not keeping up with the latest information. That's pretty common. Like Skipper replied, wet/dry filters produce allot of nitrates. The best advice you will get about practically everything reef-related will likely come from here at Reefcentral.

What equipment do you have now?

Nagel
03/04/2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by WatchUrSix
I don't have it set up. My LFC is telling me that all he's heard about DSBs from people that have started them is unhappy stories.

He said that they last about a year, then they crash. He said Wet|Dry works the other way around. Its unstable for about 6 months to a year. and then you will start to seee that the tank gets stable.

He doesn't want to go to far into DSB systems and he doesn't seem to want to help me set one up.

He's all about wet\dry systems, says they have worked for him for years.

Ok, one thing I have learned, NEVER trrust a LFS 100%. They have bills to pay, and by going with a wet/dry, you are paying his bills. We, on the other hand, do not stand to make any money by telling you tyo ditch the wet/dry and do a DSB. I've had one for a year, and between a 6" DSB and a 10g refugium on my 29g tank, there are NO nitrates what-so-ever!

Take everything the LFS says with a grain of salt, after all, they DO need to make money.

tyoberg
03/04/2002, 06:20 PM
You could definetely do both the wet/dry and a DSB. Some people have sandbeds shallower than 4" and have done OK with them. 3" would probably be just fine. You can also operate the wet/dry without the bio-media as Skipper said--then you have basically a sump volume that you can use to hide your heater in, and you also have something that you can drop activated carbon into to occasionally "polish" the water.

If you do choose to run the wet/dry, there's no reason that you need to put any media whatsoever in it. If you do have a floss filter or carbon, make sure you clean it out regularly. They tend to collect detrious, poo and food that will contribute to nitrates.

If you put a substrate in the tank, I would definitely go with sand over crushed coral. CC offers you really no benefits other than its appearance. A shallower sandbed (2-3") is better than crushed carbon, IMO. It may not be able to process as much nitrate as a full DSB, but it will definitely do you some appreciable good.

Ty

WatchUrSix
03/04/2002, 06:25 PM
ok

The wet\dry is going to be bilt by him so i can return that.

I got a 40g tank

Skimmer

Salt

Test Kits

Water Conditioner ext....

Everything you need to start a tank. The only thing i don't know about it a sump. Which the wet\dry he's selling has one in it but I'm not going to buy it for 250 which is the price of the wet\dry.

He sould be able to get both the Sump and Refugium for me right?

What would you guys pay for a Sump?

What would you pay for a Refugium?

Skipper
03/04/2002, 06:32 PM
He said that they last about a year, then they crash Your LFS is probably referring to sand beds with plenums and is probably correct. A plenum is a void area below the sand bed that is open. Plenums are not necessary for a successful deep sand bed.

tyoberg
03/05/2002, 03:01 PM
DSB systems have crashed, so have plenums, berlin system, wet/dry's, powerfilters, cannister filters and undergravel filters.

Every tank has the potential to crash. Most DSB folks are very happy with their's (I am). I don't believe that a DSB makes a system more susceptible to a crash.

Ty

wickerj
03/05/2002, 03:47 PM
Ok, you have some equipment. Are you planning a reef tank? in addition to what you have listed (40g tank, Skimmer, Salt,Test Kits,Water Conditioner ext.... ). You need to a few other things. By the way what's the water conditioner for? If you plan to use tap water (and I wouldn't) you better have it tested.

You could use a sump but on a tank that size if it's not reef ready you may be better off with just an above tank or hang on Refugium.

You need to figure out what you want to keep in the tank and make your lighting decision based on that.

Is your skimmer a hang on or in sump model?

You need sand for a DSB and live rock (that's your filtration)

get a couple of powerheads (maxijets) and a heater.

Keep reading on this board and you'll get things figured out. Remember only bad things happen quickly in a reef tank. Take your time and do it right.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Toutouche
03/05/2002, 10:53 PM
Drop the wet/dry. I did the same mistake. When I had my tank, and whole system built, I listened to the guy, and he told me he always uses wet/dry systems. After learning more here, I see him very rare, and when I do, I now give him advice even though he has been in the business for many years. Reason is he says he's very busy, and has no time to read, and I've told him he should because a lot has changed from a long time ago. His technology is old, and he still swears by it only because he has admitted that's all he knows. He even only knows of Sprung's books, and no others for referance. I learned my lesson, and now use these websites to get the best possible info that exists.

Macimage
03/05/2002, 11:08 PM
I would recommend that you use a DSB and a sump. An empty wet/dry will work as a sump, however, an acrylic tank with some baffles will work just as well and be cheaper.

I would advice you to search and read this board before you spend your money. Many times you can buy items on-line or even used in the buying/selling forum for MUCH less than the LFS. Don't make the mistake that many new reefers make, which is buying from their LFS based on their advice. Very frequently, after they become more knowledgable, they find that they paid too much for inferior or obsolete equipment.

Good luck, Joyce