PDA

View Full Version : Basic lighting

Mad Scientist
03/04/2002, 03:47 PM
I know this had been covered time and time again, but, I was wondering if I could get a little lighting advice for my 29 gal (30Lx12Wx18D), I have 30lbs of live rock and a cleaner pack (serpent, snails etc.). The tank is currently lit by a single 65w custom sea life Brite light (100% daylight).

I plan on keeping softs coral, mushrooms, and maybe a brain or anemone, I do not plan on keeping SPS or clams. I don't want to burn any mushrooms, but, as this is my first reef, I don't want to get discouraged by lack of lighting.

I am consideringa couple options and I would really apprecaite any advice:

1.) Add a CS PC Smartlife (50% daylight, 50% actinic). Total watts = 130.

2.) Scrap my current light and use a 150w HQI (10,000k) with a 20 watt actinic

Any thoughts?

ErikS
03/04/2002, 03:59 PM
Here's a good link to a lighting primer. You're going the right way, pick the livestock & then get the lighting to match:

TheReefWeb (http://www.thereefweb.com/lighting.htm)

Maximus
03/04/2002, 04:39 PM
Double ended hqi lamps are great bulbs. They are far brighter than a mogul lamp with comparative wattage and produce excellent color. I would recommend the 150 or even the 250 hqi if possible. Currently, I run the 250 hqi 10k d/e light on my 58g and it is doing extremely well. I keep sps, ricordia, and rose anemones and all are thriving.

Mad Scientist
03/04/2002, 08:18 PM
thanks for the reply guys, both were very helpful. Those new HQIs are real nice huh? That's what I leaning towards. I'm glad I didn't jump the gun and get a 5,500k metal halide, the 10k (even if it's a little less on lumens, seesm like the way to go.