PDA

View Full Version : Pump recommendation...

aquanut6
10/09/2005, 09:29 PM
Okay, I've read one to many horror stories about the Rio pumps and it's time I change the one I have. So, any recommendations as to a 900 gph pump...Just looking for some opinions as I'm looking at the Mag 9.5 or Quiet One 4000. I like that the Quiet One runs on only 50 watts while the Mag 9.5 is at 93 watts...

Thanks.
Angel

crazyfingersmike
10/10/2005, 07:43 AM
I've heard that the QuietOne pumps aren't very reliable, and don't stay quiet for too long. MagDrives seem to be the industry standard, and I haven't every had a problem with mine.

gpodio
10/10/2005, 09:15 AM
I've had a horrible experiece with Mag Drive models smaller than the 9.5 version. I have many and they all vibrate and make noise. The impeller on each one is either out of center of just poorly made. On the other hand I have the 9.5, 12, 24 and 36 models and they are far better. Best submersible pump I've used to date however are the Eheims. You can hardly tell they are running.

Giancarlo

aquanut6
10/10/2005, 12:53 PM
Are you saying that Eheims are better than the Mags?

Thanks.

gpodio
10/10/2005, 01:06 PM
I feel they are superior as far as balancing/noise goes. I haven't heard a quieter pump yet. As for performance and durability, both the Mags and Eheims have been running non stop, even in the ponds all year round, through ice, mud, leaves... they are both great products but there's a difference in noise level and vibration. But the Eheims stop at a certain size while Mags come in bigger sizes if needed...

Giancarlo

Jay4Robin
10/10/2005, 04:11 PM
I have been using mag drives for almost 5 years. They work great and you can replace parts. The magnets and impellor. I have a box of Rio pumps that I would love to donate!

zooqi
10/10/2005, 06:00 PM
I love mags and had good experience with them. The only bad experience I had with them :
1: some let short in the tank
2: outlet male breaks
3: impeller went bad which is easy to replace.
4: screws rust.
But like any other pump things can happen and mags tend to have less.

chilyb56
10/10/2005, 11:39 PM
what's the big problem with the Rio pumps? I've been using a Rio for three years. I've only had problems when I turn it off - sometimes I have to coax the impeller to get it going. It's not going to explode or anything is it?

law086
10/11/2005, 08:24 AM
Angel - I think the proper pump is determined by it's use. IIRC, the Quiet One pump is rated for less head pressure than the Mag 950, which probably accounts for the less power usage.

I ran a Mag 950 as a return pump for awhile and it performed flawlessly. For the price and reasonable efficiency, Mag pumps are hard to beat. I'm running a Mag 18 as an external return pump now. It's working well too.

Ron

stan
10/11/2005, 03:26 PM
i run mags and feel i must be lucky with them. i like them. its good to clean them once in a while but other then that im happy. i got a mag three on my cal. reactor right next to my desk here and all i can hear is the co2 being injected into the system . no noise at all from the mag and thats been going for a couple years. i got a mag 24 return, a mag 18 on my skimmer, a mag 7 on my refugium, 4 maxijets 1200 in the tank along with a tunze 6180 movin' water around plus a rio600 sucking air out of my over flow and 2 mag 3's working my calcium reactor. dam i throught i had a few more , i'll have to check.
stan

gpodio
10/11/2005, 03:40 PM
Or perhaps I have been unlucky with the smaller impellers so far. I've purchased a couple replacements but all were somewhat out of balance and noisy compared to the larger Mag Drives and Eheims I'm using.

Giancarlo

billpa
10/12/2005, 09:52 AM
Ive also had problems with smaller Mags...specifically 5s and 7s. I havent had a problem with my 2 on my Ca Reactor so I am crossing my fingers :) Everyone I have talked to doesnt seem to have as many problems with the larger Mags.

FWIW
billpa

gpodio
10/12/2005, 11:04 AM
Come to think of it I haven't had any probs with the Mag 2 either...

stan
10/24/2005, 05:06 AM
oh man this is too funny, i have a mag 3 in between my dual chamber ca. reactor that circulates water and co2 through the reactor and this weekend im sitting at my deck and notice a strange sound. i seem to be getting a little rattle noise coming from this mag 3. i still like mag pumps tho .it just may be a wore impeller but their cheap enough to fix. its getting close to a year anyway so my reactor may need some maintance.
stan