PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing things ok?

Kate2
03/04/2002, 12:30 PM
Hi!
I just joined your forum today, and I am so excited about my new marine tank! I started my tank, in a twenty gallon brackish tank, which I changed the rock to crushed coral, and added 50 percent new water, and added BioZyme, and Instand Ocean, until the salinity reached .023. My PH is naturally 8.2, and is has been consistantly staying around 8.4, with the added coral. Temp is 78 degrees.

I started this tank, six weeks ago, with cured live rock, around 10 lbs, and two weeks ago, I added two snails, two blue legged crabs, and two Damsel fish. Also, a featherduster. A week ago, I moved everyone into a 35 gallon, and everything seems to be doing fine.

I have two undergravels, one on each end, and the center one is a wave maker. I have an outside filter, that is made for a 90 gallon tank, and also a Skilter 250, which is an Aerating Power Filter and Protein Skimmer in One. It is supposed to be able to handle a 150 gallon tank, for the skimming, and 55 gallon for filtering. I have Lot's of filtration, and air. :)

So far, on my live rock, I have found a small six legged starfish, three red tube anenomes, two polyps, that seem to be growing Button Polyps, out of purple coral algae, but I'm not sure, as this is very new to me. Also, I found a few things that look like pink coral, but I don't know how to tell if it is alive or not, and a brown sort of plant, that seems to be growing from some of the rock. There is also purple, pink, white, green and red coral algae. And a red clam of some sort, with scalloped edges. The water quality is fine, and there is barely any foam coming from the skimmer. Do you think it would be safe, to add a few Button Polyps, and shrimp, in a couple of weeks?

I found two small anemones on one of my rocks, which I placed into my hospital tank, because I was told they might be Anemonia Majano? They seem to be clear, and they have clear tubes, with white bubble tips on the ends? I sure would hate to kill something good, how can you tell if they are the bad guys? :) Also, I found a sea squirt. Should I remove this guy? I was reading about them, and it said they give off toxins?

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I've had tropical and brackish, for most of my life, though I started with a ten gallon salt water tank, with sea horses when I was a teen. :)

I would like to keep this a small reef tank, with no more fish.
Thanks! :)

asmujica
03/04/2002, 12:56 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif

Heheh, always wanted to do that :9

Have you read the new to the hobby link?

mcbaes72
03/04/2002, 01:07 PM
Welcome. I'm pretty new here, too.

Well, since you have had previous exp. before, it sounds like you're on the right track. You're right, you do have a lot of filtration. If I read it correctly, you have CC & an undergravel filter. You'll find that most reefers here don't utilize UGF anymore.

I'm glad you have a lot of life on your LR. Here's a link that may help you ID some of them that you found...

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/index.html
(Go towards the bottom of the page and pick one of the choices.)

It's safe to add Button Polyps & even an Asst. Mushroom rock. They require low lighting and no direct feeding. And they're the hardiest corals I'd recommend. I'd wait a little longer before adding a shrimp (a Cleaner Shrimp may be the best choice when you're ready).

As far as the two anemones goes, w/out a pic, it's hard to tell if they're Aiptasia or something else. That HH FAQ link I provided may have a pic there w/ a description on those. As for the Sea Squirt, here's a link w/ more info. It didn't say if it's harmful or harmless in a SW/reef tank & I have no exp. in it. So, it's up to you to remove it or not...

http://www.umassd.edu/Public/People/Kamaral/thesis/SeaSquirts.html

Hope that helps (HTH).

-Michael.

Kate2
03/04/2002, 01:34 PM
Thankyou for the welcome, and for the info. I decided to use the undergravel filters, since my tank is so small, and I won't have a sump, with another tank, to suppliment the bacteria. This way, I figure, the undergravels will keep the crushed coral bed alive also.
I sure do wish I could have a bigger tank, but I was really encouraged to see that someone on here, has a seven gallon, that is just beautiful, so if he can do THAT, I can make mine look nice too someday! :) I don't really have the money for expensive corals, I just want to experience the beauty, and the uniqueness, of watching some of God's creatures. I don't have very bright light, someday I might be able to find some, bought most of my stuff at yard sales, :) but until then, I will go low light things. They are just as special as the other ones, and it will be neat to have some eventually. :) Some of you guys have the most beautiful aquariums! Sigh! :) Wish I could come and sit in front of them! I would become a fixture, hehe! Anyway, thanks for sharing, I appreciate it. :)

Kate2
03/04/2002, 02:40 PM
Thankyou for the welcome, and for the info. I decided to use the undergravel filters, since my tank is so small, and I won't have a sump, with another tank, to suppliment the bacteria. This way, I figure, the undergravels will keep the crushed coral bed alive also.
I sure do wish I could have a bigger tank, but I was really encouraged to see that someone on here, has a seven gallon, that is just beautiful, so if he can do THAT, I can make mine look nice too someday! :) I don't really have the money for expensive corals, I just want to experience the beauty, and the uniqueness, of watching some of God's creatures. I don't have very bright light, someday I might be able to find some, bought most of my stuff at yard sales, :) but until then, I will go low light things. They are just as special as the other ones, and it will be neat to have some eventually. :) Some of you guys have the most beautiful aquariums! Sigh! :) Wish I could come and sit in front of them! I would become a fixture, hehe! Anyway, thanks for sharing, I appreciate it. :)

mcbaes72
03/04/2002, 05:12 PM
Kate2,

You're welcome. I see your logic in using a UGF in your tank. Also, the two corals I mentioned will survive even under NO lighting (Button Polyps & Mushrooms).

I know what you mean, sometimes I just sit and stare at my tank, too. It's the next best thing to diving and watching them swim in the ocean. ;)

TTYL,

-Michael.