PDA

View Full Version : often water changes

dmbnpj
10/08/2005, 09:22 AM
My nitrates are high. Ive added some chaeto and gonna build the refugium this weekend. How often is too often for water changes? I have been changing 10 gallons out of my 75 tank every 2 weeks. Can I do this more often now to get the nitrates down or is too often too stressful for the system?

Thanks for any help,
Jeff

hans1976
10/08/2005, 09:31 AM
Randy has a good article this month on water changes.

Water Changes (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php)

I change 12 gallons every 2 weeks in my 72. I will be sure to put a fuge in my next system as my nitrates run high as well - 30. How high are yours?

fragspawn
10/08/2005, 09:32 AM
I wa doing 7 gallon water changes on my 54 every week. That's when I really started to notice my corals taking off. I have since switched to a 30 and am going to try changing a gallon every three days. I think you can get away with a bit less, more frequently, which IMO should equate to a more stabilized system. Ideally, if the cost wasn't prohibitive, it would be great to have a constant changeover of water, from old to new. This is what happens in the ocean. Although, in the ocean, the water isn't just sterile and lifeless chemicals, but has bacteria, DOM, etc for the corals to feed on. But, I'd say go for it.

(((have you considered a nitrate sponge?)))

dmbnpj
10/08/2005, 10:02 AM
whats a nitrate sponge? i have chaeto, i thought that would act like one.

i dont know the exact number on my nitrates but the vile is RED!

What test kits do you use?