PDA

View Full Version : Should I even go with a reef setup?

blitzpb
03/03/2002, 10:37 PM
Ok, after spending the whole day searching and reading and searching and reading, I am starting to get very discouraged. I mean 4k to 10k for a reef setup!!? Hoowee! Is a reef setup really for me? I have the skimmer, pumps, sump, Im about to start building a stand for a 180 that I will be getting soon as well. I know about the lighting and all, but all this other stuff seems way over my head. Maybe Id be better off with some soft coral and fish (sharks, oterh fish, etc)?

I dont know, Im just a little dicouraged here with trying to go ahead with setting up the reef tank.

By the way, how long did it take for you to get your tank up to 4k +?

Thanks,

Nick

PSYCHO
03/03/2002, 10:58 PM
180 gallons for your 1st tank? ...Whoa!

There are ways to cut costs if that's what you are asking.

:reading: :reading: :reading:

tendar
03/03/2002, 11:20 PM
Well I added up my 125 and have spent a little over $2000 on mine setup but did get some good bargians on rock, stand ,canopy.
While a 180 is bigger the main difference is the price on stand and tank of about $1000. I dont have halides which would cost 600-1000 more but you should be able to set up a nice 180 for $4k. If your not for shure on setting a reef to start then go with FO system and when you get more experience at maintianing salt water like after a year and the system matures you can upgrade to a reef. This will acturally save you some heart acke on tring maintian a 180 reef with out any experience prosibly save a few corals along the way or at least start with a low light reef with a few lower light corals and hardy corals and just consantrate maintining water quality for a while.

blitzpb
03/03/2002, 11:52 PM
The reason I am going with such a big tank is that I have a "window" between my living room and family rooms. This window is 7' wide and I wanted to fill the majority of it up with a see thru system (no black back. As far as reading enough, I really cant get enough of this stuff. What I was trying to say was that just after one day of really hard research I got discouraged about even trying to go reef. It seems VERY expensive. I mean if setups run 4k and more over the course of a few years, then I could justify that. But if I have to fork over alot more for stuff I dont have, then I dont think this will work for me. I had already planned on getting MH lighting. Do I need all this other stuff (DSB, Calcium what have you's, etc?)

Thanks guys/gals

Nick

dattack
03/04/2002, 12:42 AM
Do it slowly.

Why not have a fish system with just live rock for a couple months while you do some more research. Get a couple of 72" VHO for lighting and don't put any corals yet.
Once you have decided that it's time to upgrade to a reef, you can add the Metal Halides and use the VHO as supplemental actinics.

Do it slowly and you will enjoy it more. Remember, that the electricity cost in CA is really high.

You can get the VHOs at www.hellolights.com for cheap.

samurai9
03/04/2002, 03:36 AM
Naah go with a reef. What is the equipment that you have already? I set up my 100 gallon and i have spent about $2500 on it, and its basically complete except for minor livestock additions in the future. I remember being in your place when I started out. In fact, I actually thought I'd need a minimum of 5k to get it set-up. THe reason was because I was looking at all the "completely finished, polished equipment" and lots of unnecessary items. Ask around on this board, and youi'll see you can get things for much cheaper than you had originally thought. For example, you can get 2 *400 watt 6500 MH from premium aquatics for about $340, not $600-$1000!!! As for other areas you can save on-make a refugium-add some southdown sand (from HOme depot) to your 30 gallon sump, add caulerpa algae, and buy a cheap powercomact fixture from Home Depot-and you have a great filter-much better than even top of the line skimmers in fact if you get it set-up properly. Anyways, don't get discouraged. The key, of course is read, read, read. Take it slow, and have fun. For many people, the best part about this hobby is designing and setting up a new tank.

dattack
03/04/2002, 04:06 AM
He's going to need at least 3 MH for a 180 tank. If you do go for 6500Kx 3MH 400W, that's going to run about $600. Plus with the 400 W Iwasaki's, it's going to be incredibly yellow which will require a couple of icecap ballasts or hellolight VHO ballasts for actinics, which will run another $300-$400. That's about almost $1000.

Better solution would be to run 3x400W electronic ballast with 20K radium bulbs which probably won't require any actinics.
That would probably run $750.

Or get an aquaspacelight 3x250 W HQI which should be great for you tank and save money on the electricity bill. This will run about $900.

rstein
03/04/2002, 11:13 AM
Just wanted to add that I'm in the same situation as blitzpb (top message), but I've been given a 90 and 180 gallon setup with all equipment including actinic lights.

I've been reading now for about 6 months trying to center in on what I want to have in the 2 tanks. My plan is to set up the 180 starting as a FOWLER, then move it to a reef. The 90 I'm still thinking about (maybe Lionfish?).

Don't have a question, just wanted to comment.

Reefmaiden
03/04/2002, 11:21 AM
I just upgraded my 100 gal. tank to a 250 gallon; so had to add to my current lighting system. If you are willing to wire the lighting yourself in a DIY system, you can save alot of money. Here's some numbers for you:

3 - 400w MH F-Can Ballasts from 1000bulbs.com @$46.85/ea = $140.55

3 - 400w 6500K Iwasaki Bulbs from hellolights.com @$55.00/ea = $165.00 ($155.00 if you use a coupon code)

3 - mogul sockets from marinedepot.com @ $5.00/ea = $15.00

3 - mounting brackets from marinedepot.com @ $5.00/ea = $15.00

misc. wiring, plugs, etc = approx. $20.00
GRAND TOTAL FOR 3 - 400W MH = $345.55

4 Lamp VHO kit from hellolights.com = $139.00
4 VHO Bulbs approx. $23.00/ea = $92.00
GRAND TOTAL FOR VHO SYSTEM = $231.00

Both the MH's and the VHO's would total $576.55. Granted this will take a little work on your part since you will have to wire the metal halide ballasts yourself; but its not that difficult (if I can do it anyone can!) :D

Calcium reactors are not required but they do make life alot easier. You can certainly dose calcium and other supplements daily/as needed and avoid the cost of the reactor for now. I've been running a reef tank for about the last 8 years without a reactor; I just now ordered one for my new tank.

Don't get too discouraged. It is possible to set up a reef tank without selling your first born child :p

Duce
03/04/2002, 12:38 PM
Go slow....
I would recommend a FOWLR startup first. DIY and shop around will save you some money as well.
But yes...this is an expensive hobby...you have to consider operating cost as well...sometime I think it is cheaper to be a drug addict (I do not recommend anyone try it though)

gas4544
03/04/2002, 01:26 PM
Take your time, read allot, ask allot of questions here at Reefcentral, and shop for bargains. Sometimes you can find some very good deals on used equipment. If you buy anything new, chances are you will find the best price online.

I have been reefing for two years now and I have been planning and buying equipment for my new 170-gallon tank since last fall. Research your equipment options and think about what you would like to be keeping in your tank a year or two in the future. When you plan ahead and buy quality equipment, you save yourself the expense and trouble of costly upgrades.

Start out with some sand, live rock and a couple of hardy fish. Give your tank six months or so to mature and then add your first corals.

By the way, what specific equipment do you already have?